Monday, April 7, 2014

Trust in His Ways - Sister Hannah Avery

Written by Sister Hannah Avery, serving in the Chile Vina del Mar Mission of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, speaking Spanish.

(Note to reader: Clicking on highlighted words will link to additional information.)

Hello family and friends!

Hermanas Avery and Stewart
I have just a super short email this week to let you all know that I am okay and things are great here in Chile. My heart is aching, but surprisingly at peace as I know that the Lord's hand is with us in all things.

Last night, I received a phone call from my mission resident at about 10 p.m. He told me that he had "bad news from home," and said that my sweet family in Virginia (aunt, uncle and cousins) lost their home and youngest baby girl, Eleanor, in a house fire this week. My heart is broken, and I can't imagine it. Please keep them in your prayers. For things like this, I am extremely grateful for the gospel of Jesus Christ. I know for a surety that families are eternal, and that we will all see sweet baby Eleanor again. I like to think that she and my baby brother, Jonathan, are on the other side of the veil doing missionary work. We don't always understand why things happen, but the Lord does, and we have to trust His ways and timing, even when it is hard.

As you all may have heard, there have been several large earthquakes of 8.4 to 8.8 in Iquique Chile, which is about 30 hours north of us. ViƱa del Mar was evacuated (where I am) for tsunami warnings. I am in the mountains, so I am safe in the case of a tsunami, but they told us this week that they are anticipating a large earthquake here in our area. I am hoping that is not the case, but if it does happen, know that the Lord protects His missionaries. I have no doubt in that. If anything does happen, I will of course try to reach you all as soon as possible.

I hope that you all enjoyed General Conference! It was spiritually uplifting for me, and I hope it was for you all too! I apologize again for not writing a ton this week, but know that I love and miss you all and that you are in my prayers. Talk to you next week! Love you!

Xoxo Hermana Avery

Homework (Letter from March 31, 2014)

FIRST Lesson in English!! (April 14, 2014)

Here are some photos of my VERY NICE apartment!