Monday, April 28, 2014

I Got Stuck....Elder Kolby Madsen

Written by Elder Kolby Madsen, serving in the Denmark Copenhagen Mission of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, speaking Danish.

Mor!

I am still in Randers and with Elder Brindley, yay! So, pretty much, I can’t believe that Lindsey got to see all of you. That is ridiculous, and Braden is freakin' big!  How tall is he now? Why was she allowed to hug all of you anyway? I am not bitter...just kidding! That’s good that you got to see her! She is looking missionary-like and only has six months left, crazy. 

This week was a little different. We had a good opportunity to go out and visit a ton of less active members. It stinks sometimes because we end up doing things that the branch should do, but when someone goes unnoticed for 10 years, it’s hard to give them to someone as a family to visit for home teaching. I am going to do my best when it comes to home teaching in the future, because it just is not fun to be the first contact in a while as a missionary. It’s so much more effective to have members do it, but it happens.

We had a great appointment on splits with the zone leaders here in Randers. I learned a lot and am very grateful for our zone leaders. We had a great lesson with Jakob. He is a young guy who started working at 18, worked a lot for his age, saved up for an apartment for himself, and now at 20 years old is working for the Danish Air Force on base. Great guy! We taught him about the restoration of the church and it went well. Elder Earl and I taught pretty well together. We have a return appointment in two weeks. I have a really good feeling about this.

We had a great opportunity to have a district activity here this week. We went to an old castle and got to see the progression of the farm equipment in Denmark. It was really fun to see the progression of the Army here as well. I love that the history here goes back so long ago. We actually have an apartment building down the street from us that is older than our country.  It's kind of funny, but really fun to learn about at the same time.

We were able to get some really good service in at the church this week as well. We had to take out some old hedges and then replant them elsewhere to block off walking space in the backyard of the church because people just kind of cut through the back.

Yesterday at church we were able to make some appointments with some members who need some service done, which makes me happy. I really enjoy service.  It’s a good time to show the members our work ethic and gain their trust.


Photo credit to Disney Studios, "Winnie the Pooh and the
Honey Tree," 1966. Based on the book by A.A. Milne.
While we were on splits that morning, we woke up to go on a run. As we got outside the apartment, we tried to see what time it was so we all looked around and none of us had a watch on. Both me and Elder Brindley forgot our keys, so we had to go around back and scale the building to get in the apartment. Fortunately for us, we always leave a window open. Unfortunately for me, the one climbing the building, the window was above our back door, and it’s not very big....but it was our last hope, so we had to do it. I climbed up (don’t know why I had to go up....I am the biggest one...), and while trying to squeeze my rear end through the window, let’s just say, like Winnie the Pooh, I got stuck. So I am just sitting there, looking like a big dumb, stuck in  a window. Fortunately, I am very blessed to have long arms, so I tried to reach in and open the door. I managed to get it cracked open then, silly me, I forgot my legs were still dangling there, so I tried to just slide down out of the window. Well, this is when it happens....Think of a door, open right below a window, and just keep in mind my butt was stuck above the door in the window, with my butt facing upward (and I am a guy...). So, while sliding down, the door closes. Luckily, it does not shut all the way because a part of me was still in the door. Needless to say, I cut myself where I have never cut myself before! I  got it out, and managed to not do some terrible harm, but showering hurts....

Well, I love you and am grateful that you guys are safe. I am happy to hear that Bree scored. Tell her congrats. This week has made me realize I have a ton to work on as a missionary, when it comes to the language especially. I need to be better. The Lord has blessed me with so much. I need to be more grateful.

Have a great week. Work hard, stay safe, keep praying for those in need and for good missionary oplivelse!

Med Kærlig Hilsen,

Elder Madsen

Happy Easter from Denmark (April 22, 2014)

We are a Team (May 5, 2014)