Monday, April 13, 2015

40 Day Fast - Elder Joshua Avery

Written by Elder Joshua Avery, serving in the Singapore Mission of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, speaking Mandarin Chinese.
Elder Joshua Avery - Singapore Mission
Dear Family and Friends,
This past week we had a super awesome Zone Conference. The Zone Leaders challenged us to do a 40 day fast. We wrote down everything that keeps us from having the companionship of the Holy Ghost, and we will fast from those things for 40 days. The fast started today.

Preparing myself for the fast has involved fasting, prayer, scripture study, and reviewing what was discussed in conference. Last night, as I was taking what I thought would be the final draft of my list to the Lord, the Spirit filled my heart and I was surprised as my list doubled in size. All the things on that list are completely beyond my ability to overcome. I am unable to do this fast, but this is my offering to the Lord. This is my act of faith in Jesus Christ and His Atonement, and I am confident with His help I will triumph.

On the way to email today, our taxi driver made some awkward comments and I will admit I did not want to talk to him anymore and made some judgements against him. But, Elder Wadsworth was not deterred and continued to talk to him. Not too long into the conversation, the taxi driver shared some horrific family tragedies. Though the taxi driver didn't tell us straight up, Elder Wadsworth and I both felt that the taxi driver was burdened with guilt, regret, hate, depression, and all sorts of other destructive feelings. He hinted that he was thinking about ending his life. Elder Wadsworth taught him about the nature of God and set up an appointment to meet with him. We told him that he can have a new start, and all these feelings can be taken away. He didn't seem super interested in meeting with us again, but it was a miracle. Never judge. We don't only talk to everyone because we hope for baptisms, but because these are our brothers and sisters and they need love.

The members of the church in Ipoh are as awesome as ever. We go with them to teach, they provide referrals, they are willing to pick up investigators for church meetings and activities, and they fellowship them. We try to visit the members regularly and provide service in small ways for all they do to help us. Ipoh is on fire right now, and I strongly believe we owe the bulk of it to all of the help we receive from the members!
Li** is doing great! She is getting baptized on April 20th because it is her daughter's birthday. It will be the day of transfer news...

We met a nice 80 year old guy who sports his gray and black briefs around the house and is a tai chi master. We've taught him twice and hopefully will be progressing soon.

I have a feeling I will leave Ipoh with transfers, which is really hard, but it feels like it is time. Maybe we will all be surprised and I will get to stay a little longer. Who knows? Only 6 months into my mission, and I've already seen so many miracles!

Thanks for all you do!

Love,
Elder Avery

Easter in Malaysia  (April 6, 2015)

Baptism and Transfer News  (April 20, 2015)