Monday, April 21, 2014

Happy Easter (and Happy Birthday!) from Puebla, Mexico - Elder Brian Burgess

Written by Elder Brian Burgess, serving in the Mexico Puebla North Mission of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, speaking Spanish.

(Note to reader: Clicking on highlighted words will link to additional information. Clicking on photos will enlarge them.)

Hello my friends and family! Still here in Mexico, just saying hello!

Our Easter Baskets
So, last Tuesday we had a conference with our Mission President about the Restoration of the Gospel. Amazing conference. And amazing notes! In the afternoon we went to an appointment with a guy who's a barber. It was sooo funny! We invited him to be baptized. He was so happy, and he said yes! Then he started pulling out his doubts and questions, and as we were answering them, he said, "I know you have a lot of people to teach, and you are only in Mexico a short time. I just need you to be patient. But if you have any requirements to fulfill with a number of baptisms, I will help you out! I will be baptized, if it means I am helping you out. I just need more time to clear up my doubts." I almost started laughing. WHAT? He would be baptized to help us complete a goal...just to have the number because he was worried we got paid or something for baptisms?! Haha! We then explained to him, very clearly, our PURPOSE for being here. Funny story, and nice guy. Time will tell what happens.

Wednesday. We were on day changes with a member in the ward, so Elder Insaurralde was in one village and Elder Garrido and I were together in another village. We were walking down the street, casually...then BOOM...I TRIPPED. My face just smacked the concrete, haha! Came out of nowhere. After my companion laughed a good 20 minutes, wiped away his tears, I started breathing again, and we got back to work.... Sometimes random things happen on the mission, and your companion just makes fun of you. That happened to me, haha!

Thursday. We left the house, and found a dog in the street! And no one claimed him, so we gave him to our converts, Isaura and Teresa (because they wanted him)

Friday. I had a district leader meeting in the center of Puebla at the offices. It took about an hour and a half to get there. But President talked about our roles as district leaders and taught us about temples. Very interesting talk! Then, in the afternoon, the churches down here started throwing water on everyone as a tradition of the church. Something to do with the "Sacred Week" before Easter Sunday.... of course the white boy and his two friends in white shirts and ties with name tags on, from a different church, became the targets. We got in Army mode, sprinting through fields and orchards to dodge the cars driving by with buckets of water, ready to soak us. Surprisingly...we are good soldiers and made it the whole day DRY. :)

Saturday. As missionaries we regularly/daily are talking to random people in the street or in buses about the gospel. I started talking to one man who lives in the Mexican state of Coahuila (Northern Mexico and different mission). I explained to him we have missionaries in that state and they could visit him. Then he pulls out his Canon (big zoom camera) from his fancy bag, and takes a picture of me as I am talking to him and writing down his information, haha. WHAT??! He is a tourism reporter and thought it would a good story... About the white boy that invited him to talk about religion, haha! Good guy, but awkward.

Sunday. My Birthday and Easter! SWEET!!!

I testify that The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is the ONLY true church on the face of the earth. With the restored priesthood keys essential, in fact crucial, for the saving ordinances of the gospel. And that through the Prophet Joseph Smith, the Lord restored His church.

I love you all so very much. I hope you ALL have a killer week, and enjoy the gospel everyday.


Your friend,

Elder Brian Burgess

Glasses (April 14, 2014)

Changes and....Another Trip to the Hospital (April 28, 2014)


McDonald's in Spanish