Monday, April 28, 2014

Receiving Answers - Sister Justyce Oliphant

Written by Sister Justyce Oliphant, serving in the Mexico Tuxtla Gutierrez Mission of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, speaking Spanish.

Hello!!!!! So, I made crepes last night; seriously best idea ever!! They were soooo yummy!!! And I ate fish last Wednesday.... not sure how much I loved it, but I ate every last bit! We finally had investigators come to church with us yesterday! First time in this area for us! We had two brothers, and another man. We have been teaching him at his work (his family owns an internet cafe) since before conference weekend! We were thrilled that he could come with us!! And we also have just started to teach his family. We went to his house for the first time on Friday (he is basically our neighbor!) and his mom expressed her gratitude for teaching him. She said he has been changing and she loves it. He is the oldest child of 5 children, and he is 24 years old. He has a baptism date scheduled, and he is working on receiving his answer. We are always soooo happy after teaching him! He is awesome.

We made crab soup!
The two brothers are the grandsons of a member. One is 16 years old and the other is 18. They are trying to decide if this is all true, but they haven't said no to their baptism, scheduled for the 10th of May! It's next week!! Their mom supports them with whatever they choose to do and they liked church yesterday, so we have our fingers crossed.

I have been working on being comfortable with talking and contacting. I contacted a lot more people this week, and even talked to two whole combies of people! I am really starting to see progress from all my practicing each day!

I have learned to just have patience with myself and with the others who are trying to understand me. I have been frequently asking if people understand what I said, or if I need to say it again (especially with questions that I try to ask). If they don't understand, I used to get frustrated, but this week I have been really good at just repeating for them or changing how I say something and using different words. It works! Hermana Rodriguez and I try each day to contact more people than our District leader (he calls us almost every night). We won 3 days this week!! And for the first time here in Tuxtla, we contacted more than 100 people in a week.

Oh, I almost forgot, I spoke in church yesterday. I decided to speak about prayer. I didn't write out my talk. I just wrote down some quotes from "True to the Faith," and Presidents Monson and Uchtdorf , marked some scriptures and then went for it! Mauricio and Mario (brothers in the ward who speak English) said that they understood everything! BAM! que Padre!!

Well my time's about up. Just one more announcement! I AM CALLING HOME IN 2 WEEKS!!Does Sunday work for you? We are going to ask our bishop if we can call from his Ipad....so we aren't sure what time, but I will let you know the time for sure next week. How awesome that G&G will be there too! Make sure Damon will be there, too, because I didn't get to talk to him at Christmas.

I love you all soooooooo much! Can't wait to talk! Each of you think of one specific question to ask (anything, food, how's my house, the church, the roads, be creative). That way we can use the hour more productively! Deal? I don't want to just ramble on about nothing!! haha! Hasta la próxima

Love,

Hermana Oliphant

Scorpion! (April 27, 2014)