Monday, April 14, 2014

Fifty Years Later...in Randers, Denmark - Elder Kolby Madsen

Written by Elder Kolby Madsen, serving in the Denmark Copenhagen Mission of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, speaking Danish.

This week we had some really cool things happen.  I have talked to you a little about ældste Hicks. He is an ægtepar missionær (senior couple missionary).  He and his wife take care of us and tease us to keep us from feeling home sick and stuff. They are great. We were on splits with another set of Elders last week and we met with a less active member named H**, and we made a return appointment with the Hicks and her. We went out to visit her this week and when we sat down I could see that Elder Hicks was studying H** and she was doing the same. We found out a little more about her and then he asked what her maiden name was and she said Jacobsen. Elder Hicks asked,"Do you remember me?" You see, Elder Hicks was a missionary in Randers 50 years ago and would ride to church every week with H** and her family. It was so much fun to build that connection, and see the stories and memories just light up their eyes. It was fun.

Elder Hicks at an old Danish church
We are hopping to have some service opportunities coming up here soon. The next day was the big one. It's been an official year since the time I gave last hugs and never looked back, and it’s been an amazing year. So much has happened. So much has changed. It’s like looking back after puberty, haha! Just kidding....not that bad. Spiritually, my relationship with Heavenly Father is so different and so much better. I was able to look at some old pictures on my camera from the MTC (Missionary Training Center) when I could not run and things, and to see how freaking small my leg was. It was hilarious. Good times. The funny thing is my left leg to the eye is not smaller, but when I measure it, it is still smaller.

Looking back at my journal from when I entered the MTC, and reading every day what I was doing the year before is really fun. I started to get to the point in the MTC when I was stressing so much about the language. I even wrote some Danish in my journal....wow, it was bad, haha! My grammar is still bad, but back then it was terrible.

Breakfast in Denmark is always amazing!
We had a district meeting and then we had the opportunity to go to a steak house for the big day. It was not the same. I wish I would have spent less money and made myself a good steak, not that little cheap crap I ate. But it was fun to go into the centrum and eat out. We then went to support a guy in our branch who plays for the professional basketball team. While we were there, we started taking to a guy and, long story short, he was interested and we have an appointment with him tonight. I'm way excited. After that we went to a little town out in the very far edge of our area and met with some part member families and some less active members. Elder Hicks felt impressed to go and visit a guy that has not been visited for a while (years), so we went and he dropped us off then turned the car around.  As we walked up, we saw him walking into the house and we said, "Hi."  He came out and we introduced ourselves, and then we talked with his wife as Elder Hicks started to talk to him. They invited us in and we talked about family history. They brought out these big books with a ton of pictures and we talked for about 45 minutes. It was really fun and inspiring. We found out that Elder Hicks knew their nephew from the States, and we talked about that as well. After that we went home and had a great meeting with our græns mission leader.

We had a great opportunity to meet with P** again.  He is doing better. He said he can feel the difference, but he said he does not know if that because he fixed his lucky squash or if it’s his praying. We told him it was his praying. He laughed and said he knows.

This week has been great I have had a ton of things to think about. I feel like I have so much to improve on and so much to do. I feel like I can’t express myself in Danish the way I want, but that is only my fault. I haven’t been applying myself the way I want to either. I am very grateful for the blessings I have received and the help the Lord has given me in all things. I know that our Heavenly Father answers prayers and that he connects with us through this line of communication and through scripture reading. I know that Christ is among us and wants us to follow Him. I know through sincere prayer, the Holy Ghost will reveal all things as Moroni promises. I will add my testimony to it.

I hope you all have a great week. Have fun and don’t forget what Easter is all about.  It's funny, the two biggest holidays in Denmark are Easter and Christmas, the beginning and end of Christ’s ministry on earth. Love you.

Med Kærlig Hilsen

Ældste Madsen

General Conference (April 7, 2014)

Happy ONE YEAR in the Mission, Elder Madsen! (April 10, 2014)

Happy Easter from Denmark (April 21, 2014)