Sunday, October 20, 2013

Meet Sister Justyce Oliphant

Sister Justyce Oliphant was called to serve in the Mexico Tuxtla-Gutierrez Mission of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. She reported to the Provo Missionary Training Center (MTC) on Wednesday, October 16, 2013, where she will prepare to preach the Gospel in the Spanish language.

Justyce is the daughter of Lisa and Eric Oliphant. She was born in American Fork, Utah, but has lived in South Jordan for most of her life, except while attending college at BYU-Idaho, where she lived with her grandparents in Rexburg.

Justyce is the oldest of six children, and is the only girl in her family. She says it's always been fun growing up in a house full of boys.

Justyce graduated from Paradigm High School in 2011, and has worked at Chick-fil-a for three years. Before her mission, she enjoyed working there with her brother, Damon, who just received a call to serve a mission in Guatemala. Justyce also enjoys singing and playing the harp.

In her own words, Justyce explains her feelings about her mission.

"When I was little, I always thought a mission would be something fun to do. And that if I wasn't married or something by then, I would go. But towards the end of high school, and when I was at college, I had no desire to serve. I guess my life wasn't put together the way it needed to be so I could serve. When the age change happened, I was 19 years old, and technically could go. But, my parents only asked me once, I replied, "No," and they never asked again. Looking back, I am so glad that my parents didn't bug me about going because I probably would never have made that choice for myself.

When I was living with my grandparents this Spring, I had the opportunity to be in a choir called, "From the Heart." It was a fireside choir, and we sang at many different places. All of our songs focused on Christ and letting our light shine so that others can see us and come closer to Christ. How amazing that experience was! I didn't know it then, but it was because I was singing every week, and testifying of Christ, that my own testimony was strengthened. That led me to the decision to serve a mission.

I got my confirmation that I needed to submit my missionary application on the day that Hannah Avery opened her mission call. We went to the temple before work that morning, and it was in the temple that I saw us, Hannah and I, as sister missionaries together, and I knew that it was the right thing for me to do. Now, as she is serving the Lord in Chile, and I will be in Mexico, I know that we are being blessed. I know that I have always needed to serve a mission, and I am so excited to learn and grow through serving others."

Follow Sister Oliphant's Mission by Visiting Her Blog HERE! 

Sister Oliphant's First Week in the MTC

Sister Oliphant and her parents at the
Provo Utah Temple of The Church of
Jesus Christ  of Latter-day Saints.
The Oliphant Family at the Oquirrh Mountain Temple of
The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.



One last goodbye to her sweet daddy.
And she's off! Hello, MTC!