Thursday, November 21, 2013

Last Week in the MTC

Written by Sister Justyce Oliphant, training in the Provo Missionary Training Center (MTC) of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. When she completes her training, Sister Oliphant will serve in the Mexico Tuxtla-Gutierrez Mission, speaking Spanish.

(**Note to reader: Clicking on the highlighted words and phrases in Sister Oliphant's letter will take you to more information about that topic.)

So I didn't really plan out what I wanted to say this time. Sorry if it's all flustered. I am pretty hyped up today because, since it is my last P-Day here at the MTC, I have to get everything ready to leave--including packing my bags, weighing them, cleaning our apartment, and we had to go buy some stuff up on main campus after attending the temple this morning. Every time I go to an endowment session at the temple, I am reminded of that first day, July 5th, that I went through with my parents, my grandparents, and my best friend, Hannah Avery! It was such a neat experience, and its still neat every time I go. It only gets better!

I received a blessing on Sunday from my Branch President, President Shallenberger. I was really struggling last week and I needed some extra help. I felt really alone and no matter how hard I tried, I couldn't feel the love from my Savior. As soon as he finished the blessing, all of my fears and doubts left and I have had an awesome week! Hermana Taylor and I are the Sister Training Leaders in our Zone (like Zone leaders for the Hermanas), and we welcomed our newest missionaries in our zone last night! It's been a really fun assignment to check up on all of the Hermanas in our zone!

I still am in shock that I am leaving the country this weekend! It doesn't feel real. I was so sad to see Hermanas Jepperson, Reid, Harmon and Evans leave last Sunday and now it is my turn! It's so awesome how many new friends I have made while being here. It is so much fun and I really do learn things every day!
At our devotional on Tuesday, the member of the Quorum of the Seventy (I'm not even going to try and remember how to spell his last name) talked about the different degrees of glory and told us that it is our choice which one we want to end up in--that we need to make the decision NOW! He told us to make the decision and then write in in our journals IN BIG LETTERS so we can always find it easily! I challenge each of you to study about the different degrees of glory and then make your choice! Once you make the big choice, all of the smaller choices will be easier to make. I hope that makes at least a little sense to you. I loved his message!

It has been raining a ton down here in Provo. I love the rain, but it also can put a damper on your day. Hermana Captain (one of my teachers) told me something I absolutely love! When you are sad, or homesick, or not feeling well, focus on other people. Serve others. She promised that if we did that, our pains, and sadness would go away. And It really does work! Hermana Taylor and I have been reminding each other to do that and I think that doing that has helped our weeks be so awesome!

I am so thankful for the opportunity I have to be here, learning Spanish and learning how to be a better teacher, and how to serve the Lord to the best of my abilities! I have neat experiences every day! I learn so much and my study habits have started to finally click. I just love learning so much!

OH I ran into Kaeli Willis this week (from BYU-Idaho's choir From the Heart)! She is roomates with Sydney Forman from Chick-fil-A! It was SOOOO good to see both of them! They are both headed to Reno, Nevada on Monday!

I'll try and get some pictures uploaded... hopefully they work! I love you so much! Thank you for all of your prayers!

OH, and tell Wade Staley thank you for his letter. It really picked me up and encouraged me to keep trying even though this isn't easy. I am so thankful to have the wonderful Staley family in my life! They are all so wonderful to me!

AND I got the awesome package from the ward! Thank everyone for putting that together! It really meant a lot to see all the children's fingerprints and messages! It was so cute!

Next time you hear from me, I'll be in MEXICO! Which is soooo weird to think about! Have an awesome week!! I can't wait to call my wonderful family at midnight on Saturday!! From the airport! woot woot!!

Love,

Hermana Oliphant

Another Week Bites the Dust

Hermana Oliphant and Hermana Taylor