Monday, February 24, 2014

Elder Jensen in Fort Belvoir

Written by Elder Nate Jensen, serving in the Washington D.C. South Mission of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, speaking English.

(Note to reader: Some names are omitted for privacy. Clicking on highlighted words will link to additional information. Clicking on photos will enlarge them.)


Making Mom's fried potatoes!
I will catch you up. No, I am not in Manassas any more. I was transferred about two weeks ago, and I am now serving in the Fort Belvoir Ward in Alexandria, Virginia. I am loving it!! My new companion is Elder Adair. He has been out for about 3 months and he is 3 inches taller than me. Super weird!!

This week was a really good week. S** is awesome and is still scheduled for baptism on the 15th. We were both a little nervous, wondering if she was actually going to be ready. But we had two awesome lessons with her this week, and when we arrive at church 20 minutes early, she was sitting there ready to go!  Now we just need to get her less active husband to take charge of the family!

We were not able to meet with Y** and S** this week. They work a ton, but Y** did come to church with us this week, which was so awesome!! We had four investigators at church. That's the most I've had so far on the mission.

We met with E** and D**. I don't remember if I have talked about them yet. The first lesson we had with them was rough. E** is a 50-year-old black lady from Louisiana, and she says what she is thinking. We had another lesson this week, and it went sooooo well! She committed to reading the Book of Mormon every day, and she said she would make D** read every day as well. She also committed to come to church, and she actually came! The topic of sacrament meeting was, The Family: A Proclamation to the World." She leaned over to me after every talk and said she really liked it. She was only able to stay for sacrament meeting, but said she will come back next week and stay for the whole time.


Awesome sign
We were unable to meet with C**. He had to work a lot again, which is a bummer. Elder Adair got sick this week, so we had to stay in one night. We came out of a member dinner and he almost lost everything he had eaten. He was pretty green, so we called it a night and he just went home and slept. He is doing a little better, but is still feeling a little sick.

I definitely had one of the most interesting tracting experiences this week as well. I knocked this door and I am convinced this guy was a vampire. He had on this cloak thing and combat boots, all these weird tattoos, and his teeth were black. I treated it as a normal door approach, and talked to him about the apostasy and how we have proof through the Book of Mormon that Jesus is the Christ. Then I bore my testimony. He went off  about science and how I couldn't know these things through a feeling because feelings are changed by dopamine and all these other factors. So I asked him if he had ever felt like he had a spiritual experience. He said yes, that he had worked at a funeral home for 8 years. The conversation lasted another few minutes, then he just quietly shute the door while I was mid sentence.  It was definitely weird!!

The squirrels will come in our apartment
This upcoming week we have a night that we are going on a full split because we have so many teaching appointments. It will be great! Oh yeah!!!

The stake I am in did this mini MTC (Missionary Training Center) thing and it was being held up in Shirlington, my first area. Part of it was to take the kids out and actually do missionary work. Since Fort Belvoir is so far away, I told the guy in charge this was my old area and I could take them around. He agreed, so I got to serve in Shirlington for about an hour and a half. We talked to S**, who is a less active member I was working with. He still hadn't come to church, but he had been reading the Book of Mormon a little, and he has gone to a couple of fire sides. Then we went to H** and B**, and I asked them why they hadn't been baptized yet. We talked for a little while and set up a lesson. Please pray for them!

Thanks for all you do. I love you guys lots and miss you!!

Elder Jensen

Answers to Prayer