Monday, October 6, 2014

Blessings in Denmark - Elder Kolby Madsen

Written by Elder Kolby Madsen, serving in the Denmark Copenhagen Mission of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, speaking Danish.

Mor!

Well that’s great to hear that Maren saw all four sessions of General Conference. I haven't even seen the last one yet due to time zones and stuff, way lame. I  heard that Elder Bednar gave a great talk though. I am glad to hear that Bree played well, I think it’s good for her. Is she on varsity right now?

Well for BYU, I have thought about it. I think it would just be better and cheaper to apply to UVU.  I can transfer later, but I want to go into exercise science and then into medical after that. I think I want to be a physical therapist, but maybe an ER doc still, I don’t know. I have time to worry about that later.

That’s way sad to hear about BYU losing and stuff.  I would hate to see someone like Hill break his leg. I heard he was doing great this year. That’s also way hard for a team to pull it together after having their QB break a leg. Makes it hard to focus and stuff. Good to hear about the Broncos and that Braden got to go to a game. Crazy to think that he will be leaving and that Maren has already started her papers. That's great though. I think she will come to Denmark or Sweden. She needs to know what it’s like to serve out here in Scandinavia. It will be good for her.

In other news, I just got a new companion. Elder Earl and I were together for 4 weeks. I guess things were going too well or something because we got separated quick. No, I am just kidding. But we really did work way well together. I have a new companion, Elder Child. He is great! He has red hair, but I don’t hold it against him, haha. No, I love this kid. We will have some good stuff going here as well. Elder Earl actually just went to serve with Elder Madsen (lil), I am big Madsen. And Elder Child just went from lil Madsen to me, haha! Anyway, good stuff.

This week we had some great stuff happen. We were down in Nykøbing on splits with Elder Brindley and Elder Peterson. It went great. We found some people for them to teach and they reconnected with some of their old investigators. It was overall a great day. We then came back and had splits with the assistants (APs). That went really well, even though all of our appointments canceled. We were able to reschedule them for the next day, which was crazy.

We taught 7 lessons on Thursday. It was intense, just bouncing from appointment to appointment. It felt amazing. I am very pleased with this week. We were able to work a lot and the Lord has really blessed us with some great people to meet with as well. We found a new friend who met with missionaries in København.  She told them she lived down here, so we paid her a visit and she wants to learn more. We are looking forward to meeting with her.

We had a great opportunity to have General Conference this week, as you know.  We weren’t able to see four sessions, as always no Sunday afternoon, but we had two appointment set for the Saturday morning session which begins at 1800 here. We brought in some reinforcements and had four General Conferences at investigators or less active members' homes, and one with them just at the church.  So in total we had 8 people that don’t usually come to church or are not members watch General Conference. It was great!

On Friday this week we had my first zone training. It was way fun. We had some good things happen and some great goals set. After getting all the information (the reports form the district leaders about their districts), we are well on our way to obtaining our goals this month. I have not been a part of a zone yet that has achieved the goals set. We are really working hard as a zone to change our areas and to improve our work to be more effective and  being all around in line with how our Heavenly Father would want us to work.

We also had the opportunity to meet with our friend, TW, who has chosen to get baptized on the 15th of October. I am way excited that this transfer goes until the 17th! I am also really excited to work with him. He is so great and faithful.

I really enjoyed the talk by Elder Jørg Klebingat. I don’t know why, I just did. We gave all of our investigators a challenge to think about questions they had and told them that they would be answered in Conference. I know that a couple of the  investigators had questions about Joseph Smith.  Those who had the questions were there to see the talks that were given about prophets and Joseph Smith. It was great! I also had questions that were answered.

I know this church is the church of God and that Christ stands at the front and leads and guides this church the way that it is supposed to be run. I know that Christ is the son of God the Father, and that he IS our savior and redeemer. He has made it possible for us to return to our Father in heaven without blemish. Being clean form all of our wrong doing. All we need is to repent and trust in him. He has his arms open and out ready to receive us.  All we need to do is  to come to Him!


Med Kærlig Hilsen,

Ældste Madsen

The Second Harvest (September 29, 2014)

Baptism in Denmark  (October 13, 2014)