Monday, October 20, 2014

Feng...as in Fungus - Elder Joshua Avery

Written by Elder Joshua Avery, training at the Provo Missionary Training Center of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. He will serve in the Singapore Mission, beginning in December.

Elder Joshua Avery - Singapore Mission
Hi Everyone!

Happy Birthday to Rebekah and Abi!!!!

This week has been awesome. Most of the Elders who write about the MTC (Missionary Training Center) tell you about how it is hard and they are extremely homesick. Let me tell you, it is not that bad. Classes here are informative and fun, and sure I miss all of you a ton, but this work is sooo great! I could tell you all tons about the devotionals and classes, but all you really need to know is the gift of tongues is real and God loves us. I can bear my testimony in Chinese and say a prayer in it. My Chinese is not good, but I am learning so much!

My companion's name is Elder Harmon, and he's from Bountiful. We are the District Leaders. He and I share a room with the Zone Leaders, Elder B and Elder S. Elder B's hair line has started to recede since he has been here. So every night he stares in the mirror and massages his head so the hair will grow. He is convinced it works, but I am doubtful. He also puts essential oils on his head...I doubt those make his hair grow either, but they smell good.

The MTC is great! I get to eat as much as I want three times a day. Not only that, but I get to exercise for nearly an hour everyday. We have so many classes, but I don't feel tired. I love it. My companion and I get up a half hour early to study our PinYin Book of Mormon. We don't understand much, but it helps a ton. My bed feels comfy and I have the best district ever! I love all the Elders so much.

I see Max and Jake (Wimmer) all of the time. Which is great! Jake leaves tomorrow, so I need to get a picture with him tonight. I wish I could send you pictures today, but the MTC requires you to have a card reader to upload pictures. They sell them for 10 bucks at the bookstore, so I will try to buy one and send you pictures soon. Your package got here and dearelder.com works great here!

I thought you guys ought to know that all of you misspelled my Chinese name in your emails. It is spelled Feng, but pronounced Fung. As in fungus. They call me Feng Zhang Lao. Which is Feng Elder. I like to think it is because I have the most feng here, haha! (The reason Josh has to have a Chinese name is because there is no character for "Avery.")


My district is freaked out because the Elders who have been here a while have told them that the orange juice and water make you sick. Since everyone is getting sick, they think the water and juice really do make them sick. My companion is collecting bottled water so he won't get it. I, however, have been drinking the water and juice everyday and I am fine. I'll teach my district about what happens when over 2,000 missionaries from all over the world are living together  :)

Wo ai ni men (I Love ya'll),

Feng Zhang Lao

Elder Josh Avery Reports to the Provo MTC (October 15, 2014)

Missions Change People  (October 27, 2014)