Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Sister Oliphant Arrives in Mexico

Written by Sister Justyce Oliphant, serving in the Mexico Tuxtla Gutierrez Mission of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, speaking Spanish.

Well, I don´t really know where to start. All of my days are blending into one. I really love that I have so many wonderful and supportive friends who helped get me out the door and on this mission. It's hard. I won't lie. I was so strong and held in my tears for a long time, but they fell yesterday...and I couldn't stop them. The language is hard, the investigators aren't progressing, and yes, I miss my family and friends. But my companion sat me down and we had a talk. She helped remind me why I am here. She helped me stop thinking of myself and helped me remember that I am here to help bring people to Christ, and help them find happiness. It really helped me.

The Spanish is hard, but my companion is so nice and patient with me. She helps me learn the language and helps me participate in the lessons. We practice in the mornings, and then when it is my turn to share part of the lesson, she looks at me and waits for me to finish trying to share. Then she will help answer questions that the investigators have. I really appreciate that because it is helping me learn the language so I can teach. I'm choppy, and it's not perfect Spanish, but it is understandable and I love the message of the restoration! I love helping people learn about Joseph Smith! I love telling the first vision in his own words!

We have two investigators who have accepted our invitation to be baptized this week. Their dates are in January. One is a mother and a shop owner. She is so sweet! And the other is 11 years old and the daughter of one of our investigators. Another investigator wants to get baptized, but she has to either get married to her boy friend or move out because they live together. She came to church with us yesterday!

Also, last night was the Christmas fireside. We were supposed to watch it at the church but they could not get the transmission to come through, so they just had a small fireside devotional. Hermana Perez volunteered me to sing...so I did! Hermana Park played the piano and I sang "Silent Night" with Hermana Perez. I soloed on the first verse!! After the fireside (I also played the piano for the opening and closing songs), some of the other Hermanas and some girls in the ward and I all gathered around the piano and sang hymns together while I played. They also asked me to sing "Be Still My Soul." It is not in the Spanish hymn book so it was new to all of them. I love that song and the message it brings. "Be Still My Soul' has become my favorite hymn here on the mission. Please go and read it or sing it because the lyrics are my favorite. They really help calm my heart and help me feel peace. I have been teaching it to Hermana Perez, and we sing it now when we have a bad day and need to cool down or feel peace.

I love you and pray for you all every single day!

Love,

Hermana Oliphant

P.S. I got sunburned today when I did laundry on the roof! We hand washed in a cement tub thing and then hung the laundry up to dry. My arms really hurt from the sunburn! I was dumb and didn't think. . .

My address for letters:

Hermana Justyce Oliphant
Mision Mexico Tuxtla Gutierrez
Calle Jazmines 210
Pracc. Los Laureles Tuxtla Gutierrez
Chiapas, Mexico C.P. 29020

My address for packages:

Presidente Juan G. Cardeneas
(Hermana Justyce Oliphant)
Mision Mexico Tuxtla Gutierrez
Calle Jazmines 210
Pracc. Los Laureles Tuxtla Gutierrez
Chiapas, Mexico C.P. 29020

Last Week in the MTC

Ambulance, Police, and Fireworks

San Cristobal, Mexico