Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Poop on my Shirt - Sister Hannah Avery

Written by Sister Hannah Avery, serving in the Chile Vina del Mar Mission of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, speaking Spanish.

Hola Familia y Amigos!

Happy December!! :) I hope that you all had a great Thanksgiving and that you are enjoying this time getting ready for Christmas! Time is flying!! We only have about two and a half weeks left in this transfer! And... we have 23 days until I can call home for CHRISTMAS!! Yes, I AM counting! :)

So, I have lots of super weird things that happened this week! First off, I saw a collectivo (basically a taxi) hit a dog! AHH! it was sooo sad! It didn't die, but it was like one of those slow motion experiences that you don't think you will ever see! Anyways, we are now teaching that family (owners of the dog) and are going to try to invite them to be baptized tonight! Blessings happen! Their poor dog had to get hit by a car, but now we can teach their family!

Okay, next thing..... we were in the house of this sweet old lady who we can't teach, but we can sing to her. She is super sick and close to death, but likes to listen to us sing hymns. She can't remember anything and can't see very well. I don't know if she knows who we are, but it is a neat experience to spend time with someone close to meeting their Father in Heaven again, and all she wants is to hear songs about Him and Christ. It's really beautiful :) So, the weird thing was, I looked down while singing at one point, and saw a HUGE bird poop on my shirt! OH MY GOODNESS! I was sooooo sicked out  that I had a hard time concentrating after that. Hermana Puertas just about peed her pants when I told her that I had "caca en mi camisa" (poop on my shirt) LOL! Good times...HAHA!

So, this week we found SEVEN new investigators, and three of them have baptism dates for the 22nd of December! WOO HOO!! The work is really progressing here! Our "star" of the week is a boy named C** (name omitted for privacy) who is about 13 years old. We just started teaching him this week and he is one of our baptisms this month. His mom is less active, but has raised her kids with gospel teachings their whole lives. So when we invited C** to baptism, he was fully prepared and understands everything! It is amazing to see how the Lord prepares these people, and all we have to do is get in their house and teach them! He and the Holy Ghost do all the rest! :)

Last thing before I go! Hermana Puertas and I bought Christmas lights and a Christmas tree to put in our house! haha! We are feeling a little more at home, and it feels a little more like Christmas time in this crazy, hot summer I'm living in :) I will send you pictures! We were super excited to put them up :) It's not much, but this is missionary life, what can I say?!

Well, I hope that you all have a wonderful week, as always! I love you all sooo much and miss you all like crazy! You are always in my thoughts and prayers! Thank you for all of your love, support and prayers! You are the best! I will talk to you again next week! ¡CIAO!

xoxoxoxoxoxo,

Hermana Avery

Obviously, We Don't Have Thanksgiving in Chile (November 26, 2013)

Dying from Heat in December (December 10, 2013)


Yes, I'm hot and sweaty in my Santa hat
the first day of December! Ho! Ho! Ho!


We are getting festive with our snow colored
Christmas tree and.....
...our balcony lights!









I call this cute little guy "Snoopy" because he sits on
top of his house all day, haha!