Monday, December 30, 2013

Happy New Year from Chile - Sister Hannah Avery

Written by Sister Hannah Avery, serving in the Chile Vina del Mar Mission of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, speaking Spanish.

(**Note to reader: Clicking on highlighted words will link to additional information. Clicking on photos will enlarge them. Some names are omitted for privacy.)

Hello family and friends!

I hope you all had a great Christmas! I know, mine was great :) I got to talk to the family for about an hour and a half, which was wonderful! Just to hear your voices and see your faces live was amazing. Best Christmas present ever! Now, we have to wait until May for the next Skype session!

So, we are two days short of the New Year! Happy 2014! I have only about a year left in my mission and it's crazy to think how fast it has gone by. I think of all of the things that I have done this year (2013) and I am amazed at how much I have grown spiritually, emotionally, etc. I have seen so many miracles and been blessed beyond measure. And I know that you guys have too! And then I look at how fast this year went by, and how fast 2014 will go by! I will be back before you know it! It feels like I just barely got here, yet, some days, it feels like I will never come home! That's the mission life, but it is truly the best. There is nothing better than serving others! :)

So, Christmas we talked with the family, and we really didn't do anything else! No one wanted us in their house on the 24th or Christmas. They wanted to spend time with their families, which is all good :) Hermana Puertas and I made it fun and had "Christmas dinner" at 10:30 p.m., after Skyping you guys. We made fries, completos (stuffed hot dogs), and chocolate. Merry Christmas to us! :P

Yesterday was Claudio's and Ignacio's baptisms! It was SOO wonderful! There were over 35 people there. That is more than come to church every week, haha! We were in shock at how crowded it was, and so grateful that so many people came to support our boys :) They are so cute! And the Spirit was so strong. They are great, and Claudio will receive the priesthood in about a month! WOOHOO!!! Life is good :) J**, another of our investigators, was also at the baptism yesterday and told us that she wants to be baptized on the 11th of January. It's incredible!

Well, that is all of the news I have for this week. New Year's should be good too! Everyone burns their clothes from 2013 at midnight and buys new stuff for 2014, haha! Chileans do weird things sometimes, but I love them :) Have a great New Year, and work on those resolutions! Actually, stick to them, haha! And remember that the Lord will help you with all of them. Just pray for the help! :) Si se puede!! (you can do it!) I love you guys! Have a great week, and I will talk to you all in 2014! ¡Ciao!

xoxoxo, Hermana Avery
(a.k.a. The coolest American Hermana in Ovalle, Chile! :)

Merry Christmas from Chile! (December 24, 2013)

The Heat of all Heats (January 6, 2014)


Baptisms of Claudio and Ignacio - I love this wonderful
family so very much!
Christmas Eve 2013 in Chile


This family has five adorable little girls! They are
precious and Hermana Puertas and I love spending
time in their home.