Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Hispanic Thanksgiving in North Carolina

Written by Elder Dallin Remund, serving in the Virginia Chesapeake Mission of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, speaking Spanish.

(**Note to reader: Clicking on the highlighted words will link to additional information.)

Hello, hello, hello!

Como estan todos? Bien? Bien! I am doing wonderful. As usual. There's really nothing that can make you so sad when you are out serving the Lord and depending on Him!

I hit my 6 month mark on Friday and it was unreal. Time in the mission is oddly distorted. In some ways, I don't feel like I've already finished a quarter of my mission, and other times, I think back a year ago to my first semester of college and it feels forever away. How I have changed, though! My testimony has been profoundly deepened and my feelings about church attendance and the significance of family have become a lot more tender. I cannot imagine the state of ignorance I would have allowed myself to be in if I had simply chosen to stay home and do whatever I pleased to do. I love this work and what it has done for me and for others. I definitely understand the saying that you find yourself as you lose yourself in the service of others.

Elder Lovell and I had a Hispanic Thanksgiving. We went out to our investigator's house for lunch and had a Mexican spiced turkey with red potatoes, rice, and tortillas. It was so good. We drove down to the bottom of our area and had another lunch with the Hernandez family and they made a really good Honduranian dish that's a tortilla with eggs, beans, cheese, and avacado. We ended the night at the Perez family's home and had tamales and ponche, a Mexican drink that is essentially boiled water with fruit and cinnamon. So good! Only a Spanish speaking missionary could experience that on Thanksgiving.

We had a powerful lesson with R** (name omitted for privacy) that Thanksgiving, and she was able to feel the Spirit very strong as we testified of the truthfulness of the gospel. She is progressing wonderfully.

Thank you for your prayers, your emails, and your love. I miss you all and I hope all is well!

Con amor,

Elder Remund

From the Chilly Fields of Albertson, NC

Good Tidings of Navidad