Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Dying from Heat in December - Sister Hannah Avery

Written by Sister Hannah Avery, serving in the Chile Vina del Mar Mission of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, speaking Spanish.

(**Note to reader: Clicking on the highlighted words will link to additional information. Clicking on photos will enlarge them.)

Hola familia y amigos!! :)

Happy Monday!! What a crazy fast week we had! Time is flying! We have a busy week coming up! But first, let me tell you about last week!

First of all, we had a CRAZY, scary thing happen in the center of Ovalle this week! There was a lady who went into a store and slit a girl's throat open, all because the girl was dating her son. How horrible! The girl died after being in the hospital for about three days. It is sooo sad. That is what everyone is talking about here this week. Nothing bad ever happens in Ovalle I guess, so this was crazy and scary for these people! Anyways, super sad.

We had Family Home Evening with the G** (name omitted for privacy) family this week! They are a family of five girls and their mom and dad. The parents aren't married because he is still married to another woman who left and he has no idea where she is, so he can't divorce her. The sad thing is, that they want to get married so that he can get baptized. The mom and all of the girls were baptized before, but he can't be baptized until they are married since they wouldn't be keeping the law of chastity. Darn it!! It is really sad. But, he has a testimony and they come to church every Sunday. We have hope that one day we can see their dad get baptized and see their family in the temple!

Alright, so we are literally dying of heat here! And I know you guys are in snow! What a world's difference, literally! haha! I am dying...I now come home every night with super swollen feet and blisters the size of quarters because it is so hot and we walk all day. But I come home and think, "How many people did I help come closer to Christ?" Then I realize that I helped a whole lot of people in one day...more than I ever have in my whole life! And I only have 14 more months to be a missionary and have ugly feet!! haha! I'm sure the tan lines, blisters, and the fleas will one day be something that I miss :)

We have seven new investigators this week! Woo hoo! We have a TON of people to teach, but the hard part is when they don't keep commitments and won't come to church. So no one is getting baptized as of yet... it so SOOO frustrating! I know that it will take time, but I can't help but wonder why it is so hard to read scriptures for just 5 minutes...5 minutes! Or come to church for 3 hours out of the 100+ hours that are in a week! But I remember that we all have had times in life when we have chosen to do things of the world before the things of the Lord, and have chosen our will rather than the Lord's will. We all have agency, it's just a matter of what is more important. Hopefully they will decide and realize that the Lord in their life is more important :)

We have conference with the Mission President and five other zones in La Serena this Friday! It should be fun. My zone is singing "Far, Far Away on Judea's Plain." I wish I could tape it for you, but I will be singing so that is not an option, LOL! La Serena is the tip top part of the mission and is about an hour and a half away. It is apparently by the sea and is really beautiful. We shall see :)

Well guys, thanks again for all that you do! And thank you, thank you, thank you, to all of you who sent letters this week! You guys are the best, and it really makes my whole week better to hear from you!! :) I LOVE YOU SOOOO MUCH! Have a great week and remember that the Lord's will is always the most important :) Talk to you next week!!!

xoxoxoxo, Hermana Avery

Poop on my Shirt (December 3, 2013)

Traffic and Another Earthquake (December 18, 2013)


Hermanas Avery and Puertas