Monday, June 2, 2014

I Should Have Knocked on Wood.... - Sister Justyce Oliphant

Written by Sister Justyce Oliphant, serving in the Mexico Tuxtla Gutierrez Mission of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, speaking Spanish.

Well what a week we had!!I have now seen my first scorpion in our house. Luckily my companion found it and had already put it in the water to die when she told me. UGH! I was starting to have hope that we wouldn't have any! ​eewww!

Yes, the nightmares I wrote about last week came true!

Also, this whole week I had been feeling really gross. Every time we ate I wanted to throw up, and was never hungry. I had a fever a few days, threw up on Saturday, and had a ton of pain in my right side. After church, our bishop gave me a blessing and we called our doctor. He wanted to examine my stomach, so we went to the stake center where our doctor was with his family. He said that I have an infection (probably from the food) in my intestines (from what I understood), so I went to get the medicines last night and took both pills.




Yeah, there are huge! But they are making me feel better which is good, and today I was finally hungry and was able to eat all my breakfast! yay!


My enormous pills.
Oh, and I spoke in church yesterday. I was asked Saturday night to talk about whatever I wanted, and they said I would be the last one to speak. SO Sunday morning I studied a bit about faith and hope and that's what I spoke about. When I was speaking I had the impression to sing. So I shared my testimony through song. I sang "I Know That My Redeemer Lives!" (my favorite song!). I sang the 1st verse in English and then the 3rd in Spanish and then the 4th in Spanish and English, and made up an ending that was actually pretty cool! And yeah, I did it all on the spot, haha! The Spirit helps us when we are trying to follow his promptings!! Everyone was so quiet when I was singing, which is really rare for a Sacrament Meeting here in Mexico! Usually everyone is having their little conversations, but when I was singing it was soooo silent! I love the power of music!

We have found some new people to teach this week by working with the members. I am excited to help them progress! We also had 5 investigators in church this week but none of them currently have baptism dates. We are hoping to get them all progressing along this week.

So remember when I was in San Cristobal! Well, this is cute Hermana Perez and her new companion (well from the last transfer) and our friend. She was a less active member that we visited a ton! She has now come back to the church, has received her Patriarchal Blessing, and has a calling in the Primary! I was so happy when I received this picture from Hermana Perez!

Well, looks like my time is about up. I love you all! Enjoy the sunshine and the nice weather (aka you aren't always sweaty and sticky and getting rained on all the time!! haha!). It's definitely an adventure!

Love Hermana Oliphant

Scorpions (May 26, 2014)

Raining, and raining....and raining!  (June 9, 2014)