Monday, June 16, 2014

Happy Birthday, Sister Oliphant!

Written by Sister Justyce Oliphant, serving in the Mexico Tuxtla Gutierrez Mission of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, speaking Spanish.

I can not believe that 8 months ago today I was headed to the Provo MTC. This is literally FLYING by!

Mom sent me some money for my birthday and I bought myself a new outfit! It's super cute and I wore it to the interviews with President Cardenas on Thursday! Momma also sent me this necklace!

T** and her husband are progressing so well. They have such a huge desire to be baptized and are praying and fasting for the opportunity to be married legally. They study Principles of the Gospel each night and are always full of questions when we go over to their humble home. To get to their house we walk across a huge bridge that scares my companion everytime we walk on it. I think it's quite an adventure!






Our ward mission leader, Arnold, is always so willing to come with us to visits or to introduce us to his friends.





I had a really good birthday! My companion decorated my bed with paper balloons and confetti when I was in the shower, and made a yummy breakfast and "cake" out of bread and peanut butter! Then we taught some lessons and our bishop asked us to come to the Ward Council meeting at 3 o'clock at the church. So we went to our lunch appointment and the hermana wasn't there, so we went to the church hungry and decided that we would eat something at the house after the meeting. Well, there wasn't anyone at the church for the meeting except the bishop, and he was interviewing someone, so we waited for a little and were watching Mormon messages.

Then the Elders came and so we waited with them. Okay and when I say waited, maybe we partied a little bit....Then, a hermana came and asked us to come with her and.... SURPRISE!! They threw me a fiesta! haha! Elder Reyes has more pictures on his camera that I will send later, but it was so fun! We ate tostadas and tamales and had cake! Oh, the Mexican traditions are fun!! They have a tradition of biting the cake... I didn't want to, but they said just bite the frosting in the corner. I thought, hey it won't hurt anyone! So I bent down to bite the cake..... and.....

BAM! My face was pushed into it!!! haha! The sister behind me is Sister Jairu and she helped my companion shove my face into the cake. There is a first time for everything!

I was asked to sing in the other ward that meets in our building yesterday. It went well! And after church, cute Andrea came with us to a few visits! It POURED on us!!







Well that's all for this week. I am so happy to be a missionary, and I can't believe I am 21 years old! I couldn't think of a better place to be than here serving our Lord and Savior. I know He lives, and I know he loves me!


Thank you all for everything you do to support all of us missionaries!!

Love,

Hermana Oliphant

Raining, and raining....and raining! (June 9, 2014)

Nine Months in Mexico  (July 21, 2014)