Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Elder Burgess is Released from the Hospital in Mexico

Written by Elder Brian Burgess, currently serving in the Mexico Puebla North Mission of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, speaking Spanish.

Well here's my week:

Monday, the 9th of September:
P-day (preparation day).....Cool

Tuesday, the 10th of September:
Went to the doctor. You know those simple tests they do with the rubber mallet when they hit your knee and you kick? And your elbow, and it'll bend. Well, I failed that test..... It didn't work on my right arm. Hahah. You should have seen the doctor's face....So he set up an appointment for x-rays. I guess he thinks something could be pinched. I feel confident he is a good doctor. He said he just got back from a doctor meeting in Miami. And he went to Disney World. Hence, the pictures on his office wall. So at least he is well known, and I'm not going to some hole in the wall. That was in the hospital, Puebla Angeles. I was glad Elder Lebron went with me, because the doctor didn't know English, and my Spanish can't communicate medical terms.

Wednesday, the 11th:
We had some appointments. Raul, one of our investigators that has been coming to church for a little over a month now, talked to the bishop and set up a baptismal date for the 21st. We found out through the grapevine, and we're the missionaries....huh.... Also found out I was scheduled to speak in Sacrament Meeting on Sunday....in Spanish. I tried convincing the First Counselor to let me do it in English. But he said no.

Thursday, the 12th:
Went to the doctor, thinking I had x-rays.... nope.... not till Friday, the 13th..... great day for x-rays.

Friday, the 13th:
X-rays. (Now I've been to that hospital three times this week.)

Saturday, the 14th:
Mexican Independence Day is celebrated on the 15th. Since that a Sunday, the ward did their annual party on Saturday. The food was different, but I ate it.

Sunday, the 15th:
So, I gave my talk, and I actually thought it went well. We reviewed the baptismal interview questions with Raul for when our District Leader does the legit interview. And then we went to the comida (lunch). It was rainy, and I was cold. The Sister fed us outside because she has a fire cooker she can't use in the house. I didn't feel right for some reason, so I told her I can't eat a lot. She gave me some soup. And I sat there, feeling worse and worse. I had my elbows on my knees, leaning forward, then all of the sudden, I felt a hard core chill down my back. My hands fell asleep, then my feet fell asleep. So I'm thinking, "Crap! I am getting sick."

I told my companion we had to go, like immediately. We didn't even share a message or lesson with the family because I was in pain. We walked home, and it hurt to hold my backpack. That's weird...it was different then my normal back pain. I got home, and I was freezing. So I doubled my socks, and pants, and jacket, and laid in bed. I went to the bathroom and threw up, then I called the doctor and she said to get medicine. I was thinking, "This is worse than needing medicine." So I call Sister and President Christensen, and they said go try to get the medicine and see if it helps.

Then my hands locked up, I couldn't move them, and they hurt. Then my wrists hurt. Then my feet. And my calves felt like charlie horses, times 10....Oh boy! I was, at that point, beyond pharmacy medicine. Elder Rodriguez helped me to a taxi, as I was in pain. We called President and Sister Christensen, then the doctor, and they said to go to the Puebla Hospital.

When we got there, they rushed me into the Emergency Room and I threw up again. My face started to feel weird, and my stomach was growling....No one knew English, and President and Sister Christensen were still in their car on the way to the hospital. Finally a nurse came in and spoke the sweetest English I've EVER heard. I can now communicate beyond, "I can't move or feel my hands." They took my temperature, and I had a high fever. They tried putting in an IV, but they couldn't find a vein.

After trying four or five times in each arm and in my hand, they finally found a vein that would work. They massaged my arm to get the blood moving. President was there at that point, and helped me communicate more. They took blood and said it would be a few hours until they had the results. They took me to a room (actually a nice room, kind of like a Marriott, with a TV and all....I still don't know if that TV works.....but it doesn't matter. We never touched the remote....missionary status.) So the tests came back. The reason why I was locked up is because I had some kind of infection, and when I threw up, I lost a lot of electrolytes and potassium. And the infection killed a lot of the good cells in my body.

Monday, the 16th:
It's P-Day...
I sat in my hospital bed all day. The doctor, who is a Gastro-someting (I don't know the word in English), I needed knew English. What a blessing! He said I have an infection in my intestines. So they had to pump me with IV antibiotics all Sunday night and Monday. I guess that food I ate Saturday at the ward party wasn't good. Some Elders came and visited me, as I laid miserably in bed.

Today (Tuesday, Sept. 17):
I found out I could go home. The infection is killed and my bowels will soon be normal....Great joy!
I have medicine to take for this week. And here I am, writing to you all.

So, I have been to one hospital three days for my back. And a different hospital for three days for my stomach. What a fun week! Oh, and I go back to the back doctor tonight because they have my x-rays. So I still don't know what's up there......

Love,
Elder Burgess

Elder Burgess is in the Hospital

Chocolate Cake from an Angel