Monday, September 23, 2013

Chocolate Cake from an Angel

Written by Elder Brian Burgess, currently serving in the Mexico Puebla North Mission of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, speaking Spanish.

Dear Everyone,

Quick message before I log off. So cool story...while I was on my way to the back doctor this past week. We waited and waited for the doctor...but he didn't come. When we found his number and called him, he said he´ll be a few hours. That's frustrating when I need to be working. So I prayed for peace, and me and Elder Lebron walked downstairs to the cafeteria in the hospital. We were just looking for a water or muffin, something that wouldn't break the bank.....

We sat down and grabbed a menu...120 pesos for a slice of cake? That's like 10 dollars! Then I realized with a mission budget, it was too much. While I was looking at the menu, the waiter brought over rolls and butter...we were too deep now. We had to buy something.

Then I heard the best sentence I'd heard all day, ¨Hello Elders, how are you two doing? What ward are you guys in? Why are you at the hospital?" (Clearly a member of the church.) "Whatever you want, I´ll pay for it.¨ That's a huge deal, because the cake wasn't cheap.

After trying our best to say we were fine, he brought out some chocolate cake for me, and cheesecake for Elder Lebron. Just look at the picture. Well worth the 120 pesos. Even though I didn't pay a dime....or a peso.....

With Love and Prayers,

Elder Burgess

Elder Burgess is Released from the Hospital in Mexico

Coke or Pepsi...?