Monday, September 9, 2013

Ten Weeks in Peru - Elder Jake Avery

Written by Elder Jacob Avery, currently serving in the Peru Lima West Mission of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, speaking Spanish.

(First he answers questions we asked in our email last week...)

My laundry is done by Presidente or his esposa (wife). We live with the Stake President's family home, so they do that for us. They bleached my grey American Eagle socks and they look very funny now.

On Facebook, I should have a few requests. I recommend looking more carefully :P (Jared is in charge of Jake's Facebook account....)

House building...haha! The culture in South America is very, perhaps painfully, relaxed. The house is scheduled to be finished in two years! Honestly, it seems like it could be a summer project for Jared, Josh and I, but when you only work on it for an few hours once a week, it takes a little time.

Tell everyone that as soon as I figure out a better way to send pictures, I'll send dozens of everything I can think of. Thanks for your patience :)

I email from an internet cafe (well, that's the closest equivalent that exists in America) in Puente Piedra. We need to have the Zone Leaders to use internet, so all of the missionaries in my zone email at the same time, in the same place. Dad would get a kick out of it! The signs for internet are spelled with ''Internet Explorer'' e's and everyone in Peru uses Hotmail.

Seminary and Institute are at the capilla (chapel), or at a member's house. They have four Seminary teachers in the ward, and Seminary is usually later at night (8 or 9 o'clock). We're actually working on finding out about seminary for two of our investigators.

I can look on the blog now, thank you :)

I've gotten letters from Mom-mom, a few from dearelder.com, and a post card from Park City, as of now :) Don't worry, I'll keep checking :) I recommend more research on exactly what is the pouch...

I'm going to be spending the rest of my email time on pictures. Thanks for the patience, and thanks for the prayers. I feel them everyday.

Dear Dad,

Thanks for the advice. Elder China is doing much better. Yes, like everyone else in the world, including me, we're working on it. He's called me a gran misionero (great missionary) on more than one occasion, and who can be mad when someone says something like that. I realized then that it's hard to be mad at someone that you admire, and there are a lot of things I admire about him. He's awesome with the ward, he's friendly, he's bold, and he always helps me.

Elder China has had three companions in the field. His trainer, then he became a trainer to an Elder who went home in his fourth week and is coming back out in April (we hope), and me. He's pretty new, and for that I need to cut him some slack. I just remember the quote from Gatsby, ''Whenever you want to judge someone, just remember that not everyone has had the same privileges and upbringing as you.''

Dad, you've been strict, but please don't feel bad about it. I'm thankful for it. You have no idea how grateful I am! You were doing what you felt was best, and look at us now. You have two missionaries :)

I'm surprised how much of my life I've remembered in my mission. I'm so grateful for the upbringing my Father in Heaven has given me. Remember that TV in the Army house that had a broken volume button, so we used a spoon to work the volume? Remember that time in the Remington house when we had to rake up the dead grass after you mowed, and Jared threw a fit over it?

My life has been such a blessing, and my family has been such a blessing. I really love and miss you guys a lot. Tell Mom that I've read all of the John Bytheway books, and I loved them. Have a fantastic week and remember that you mean the world to a little gringo in Peru.

Love,

Jake

Bread Nuggets, English Literature, and Popcorn (September 2, 2013)

Buenos Dias, America! (September 16, 2013)

I'm the king of the world! haha!