Monday, September 9, 2013

Southern Country Spunk

Written by Elder Dallin Remund, currently serving in the Virginia Chesapeake Mission of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, speaking Spanish.

Hello everybody!

I am loving it down here in North Carolina. Really enjoying the people and their kind hospitality. I really am serving in a great ward. The members are so kind, and they just love to get out and have fun! Not to mention, they're super hard workers because most of them grew up on farms. They have a Southern country spunk you normally can't find anywhere else in such big numbers! And the best thing is they are strong, powerful members who know how to truly live the gospel. I have the privilege to be able to discuss and teach the gospel with them. I love the Albertson Ward. No matter when I get transferred, I'm really going to miss this family ward, and I hope to visit them after my mission.

Spanish is getting easier and easier each day. I hadn't really noticed it until I was in the Spanish Sunday school class yesterday, and the sister who teaches it got up and taught the lesson. I realized I could hardly understand her my first week in the field. Everything makes sense now and I am growing in my confidence to express my thoughts and ideas in Spanish. I am still far from perfect, but the Lord has helped me a ton.

Sergio is continuing to progress just great! He is committing to everything we give him and he understands the concepts just great! I haven't been able to personally teach him because I've been out on exchanges in Mt. Olive and Goldsboro every Friday that we teach him, but I should get to teach him this Friday.

Yesterday we had a fireside on Central America and the Book of Mormon events that happened there and it was super interesting! It was a highly intriguing/spiritual fireside. We really got to see what it would have been like for the Nephites and Lamanites, specifically the coming of Christ. The brother has a ton of old artifacts and says that most of the Book of Mormon probably took place in Guatemala, Honduras, and other countries in that area. The church has no official stance on where things happened, but it can be assumed where some things might have occurred. Super interesting and eye opening!

Well, the time is out! I hope to hear from more of you this week. Tell me how life/school is going! I know I said I would get pictures, but I forgot to grab my SD converter! So next week I will remember!

This gospel is true!

Con amor a todos ustedes,

Elder Remund

Yee haw!

Almost Heaven, Albertson, NC