Monday, September 23, 2013

Teaching People to Pray - Elder Jake Avery

Written by Elder Jacob Avery, currently serving in the Peru Lima West Mission of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, speaking Spanish.

Another amazing week in the mission. This week marks the end of my first transfer which means only about 22 months left! We've baptized four people so far, and have plans to baptize more this week.

We had a huge Baptismal Service as a stake this week. I'm not even too sure how many were baptized because Paul and I were first. His mom, who isn't a member of our church, came with us to the service and had a good time. One of the things she told me when she left the service was that she felt happy. She told me that the times she has gone to her own church, she would always leave feeling sad.

This made me think. Why would anyone go to church if it's sad? Everyone knows that Heaven is a happy place, and it's the home of Heavenly Father. So why wouldn't church be happy too?? If you're not happy in your church, you might be in the wrong church. This is a place where we learn that Jesus Christ blazed the trail so that everyone can return with their Father in Heaven. This is where we learn that our families can be together forever. There's hope and light in this message.

One of the saddest things I experience out here is that a stunning majority of people do not know how to pray to their Heavenly Father. Other churches teach memorized prayers, and sometimes only the pastors pray. Some churches don't teach their congregations how to pray. I find myself teaching my investigators how to pray almost everyday. It's a wonderful experience to see them grow in the following weeks. Their prayers grow more personal and sincere, and they begin to feel the love that their Father has for them individually. A personal, intimate relationship with God is a right of every single one of His children. We should express our deepest feelings with our Father, frequently and openly. He is there, He always listens, and He responds. He has responded to my prayers, and I know He will respond to anyone, if they are willing to listen.

I'm so grateful for the Gospel in my life and for my wonderful family. I can't wait to tell everyone all about Perú, but for now it's a little every week.

Love,

Elder Avery

****************

Dad, I've realized how awesome movies are in conversion. They invite the Spirit, no matter how many times you watch them. It's like the scriptures, you learn something new every time. I'm using Mormon Messages at every house with internet.

This week I got to learn patience again. It's one of my favorite lessons to learn. This morning, I learned that one of our investigators with a baptismal date set for this Saturday hasn't been taught the Word of Wisdom, Law of Chastity, and some of the other important lessons. I don't want to be confrontational, but I also know this can't continue. Nearly 2/3 of our ward are inactive members, and I know it's because there are missionaries baptizing without making sure the people understand the doctrine.

Well, I hope you have an awesome week :) I'm just chilling out, trying to work hard, and trying to get my Spanish down.

Google map this location if you can!! This is my house :) If they have street view, you can get an idea of where I live and what it's like. I love you!! Remember that the Spirit speaks softly and edifies the hearers.

Buenos Dias, America! (September 16, 2013)

The Lord Puts His Servants Where He Needs Them, When He Needs Them (September 30, 2013)


Elder Jacob Avery with Paul, a wonderful boy
who was just baptized on Saturday.

Stake Baptismal Service
Peru Lima West Mission
The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints