Monday, October 17, 2016

The Final Countdown - Elder Joshua Avery

Written by Elder Joshua Avery, serving in the Singapore Mission of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, speaking Mandarin Chinese.
Dear Family and Friends,

I have to admit that going home is not exciting at all. I am excited to see all of you again, but leaving the mission field is heartbreaking. I have learned so many things on my mission. 

I started my mission in Ipoh and there I learned that the gift of tongues was real. I remember teaching an investigator named Li** who was from Mainland China. God didn't bless me to be able to speak good Chinese to her (it is still okay only), but through the Spirit we were able to understand one another. Nearly two years later she is still strong in the church and reads The Book of Mormon everyday. Her 8 year old daughter was baptized a couple months ago and they now live back in China. I am also forever debted to Sister Chris, President Yap, and all of the amazing Ipoh Branch members.

In Ipoh I also learned that when we are worthy and act in faith, God will give us power from on high to perform mighty miracles. There was the first time I laid my hands on someone's head in the hospital and saw them be healed instantly. She wasn't a member of the church and she wasn't even Christian, but God loves all his children and will bless anyone who comes to him and exercises faith in him.

I left from Ipoh to Melaka. Melaka was a refining fire. At times I felt alone and felt like I was wandering in darkness but it was there that I gained a witness of the Book of Mormon. That has been the single most spiritual experience of my mission. My testimony of the Book of Mormon has been the key to my motivation. If that book is true, then everyday of life is glorious and happy if we choose to follow Jesus Christ.

I then went to Petaling Jaya. I wasn't sure why they had Chinese Elders there because everyone there spoke English. That was the last transfer they opened that area for Chinese work. That transfer my companion and I finished teaching a family who lived far away who was baptized the weekend after the area closed. God's timing is everything. 

My next area was Johor. There I met some of the best friends I have ever had. I love my companion Elder Pearce and my amazing Zone Leaders Elder Hanks and Elder Lloyd. After having had a tough time in Melaka and PJ I was ready to work and get things going. My companion and I were new, our Chinese was not as good as some of the other missionaries, and we were reopening the area. There I learned what it really means to talk to everyone. After two transfers of hard work my companion and I gained some traction and it remains to be a high performing area today. I felt I had learned a lot in Johor. A couple days before transfers I prayed to God expressing a desire to go and serve in Sitiawan. That has always been a place that has been known as a "hard" area in the mission. I committed to God that I would go there and work hard everyday. I was only slightly surprised when I got a call from President a couple days later to go serve in Sitiawan.

Serving in Sitiawan was a sacred experience. Everyday I felt like I was in the palm of God's hand. It was a secluded and quiet place, a great place for reflection. My companions and I turned over every stone in that town. We talked to people no matter where we were. I became good friends with the members there and loved my companions. I will never forget the night that Elder Brown and I were out in Pekan Gerney, which is way out in the middle of no where. Our investigator was running late. It was Saturday and we were sad that we still had no new investigators that week. We only had fifteen minutes but we said a prayer and walked on a small road that looked like it lead to nowhere, After passing a couple houses we knocked on the gate of the house of a long lost friend of the member who was with us. I learned that The Spirit is important in all aspects of missionary work, including finding. I learned that we cannot be successful without it, regardless of our talents or abilities.

In Puchong I was companions with Elder Schwemmer. Serving with him changed me. He is like a brother to me. That was my first and only transfer as a Zone Leader. I learned that sometimes those who are your senior will disagree with the choices you make as a leader, but in the end you need to face the Lord not them. I also will never forget Sister Saffron and all she did for me. :)

I was caught by surprise when I was asked to go serve in Singapore as an Assistant to the President. I felt unqualified. To be honest I was scared and not very excited about it, but I learned to love it. I knew there were other missionaries who could do better than me. I still feel that way about it, but God wanted me to have that opportunity to learn. I hadn't seen a baptism since Ipoh at that point. My companion Elder Spurrier and I set a vision to baptize and many baptisms followed. Despite occasional uprising from the ward haha :), we were able to develop a good relationship with them. They are now the strongest member missionary ward in the Stake. I learned how to motivate myself and work when I had nothing left. I also loved my new companion Elder Harker. He was a great support and taught me a lot about how to help people feel loved.

The last 6 months of my mission were definitely the toughest. There were struggles and challenges that I did not expect I would face on my mission, that have tested me to my limits but I have learned patience and faith in Christ and the enabling and cleansing power of His atonement. I have lost count of how many times I have been stuck by needles. But doctor visits, immigration miracles, a lot of reimbursements, moving houses, missed plane flights, stress, and many Chinese mistakes later I have made it to the last week. I love serving in the Singapore 2nd ward. The YSA is amazing. Elder Boud and Elder Shirley are amazing and I cannot thank God enough for this experience. The best part is the work never ends! Time to go out and kill it this last week! SPRINT TO THE END :)
Love,
Elder Avery 

Book of Mormon - October 9, 2016

Last Email from the Mission  - October 24, 2016