Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Obviously, We Don't Have Thanksgiving in Chile - Sister Hannah Avery

Written by Sister Hannah Avery, serving in the Chile Vina del Mar Mission of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, speaking Spanish.

(**Note to reader: Clicking on the highlighted words links you to more information about the topics and phrases Sister Avery mentions in her letter. Also, clicking on the photos enlarges them.)

Hey, Daddy! Thanks for your email, as always :) I am sitting here fighting back tears after reading your email because everything you said is exactly what I needed to hear! We had a rough week and were not very successful. But, we keep on going on! Thanks so much for your advice! You are the best, seriously!

Hey family and friends!

How are you guys?!? We have had a rough week this week, but we are still out here in Ovalle, working our tails off, trying to progress the Lord's work! :) And guess what?! We have exactly ONE month until Christmas! I will be talking to you soooo soon! yayayay!!!

So, this week we didn't do very much. We had Family Home Evenings scheduled and they got cancelled. Then we had appointments with investigators and...they got cancelled. And then we invited people to come to church...and they said they would come, then didn't. Anyways, the end of story is that we had a lot of commitments made and none that were kept. It has been rough, but Hermana Puertas and I decided we want to work super hard this week, and try to find more people to teach because we don't want to feel this way anymore! There are always people ready to listen to the gospel...we just have to find them!

My experiences this week had me thinking a lot about my purpose as a missionary. There are days when I come home with swollen feet, sore muscles, and a lack of confidence because we work so hard but sometimes don't see a lot of success. Then I came across something in Preach My Gospel, in the section that talks about our purpose as missionaries. It said that even when we don't see progress, or we feel discouraged, we are always planting seeds in people's hearts. And they are always being more and more prepared to receive the gospel later! Discouragement leads to a lack of faith, and we need all the faith that we can get! If we can act on even the teeniest bit of faith, the Lord can grow it into something that we would have never imagined! :) I am hoping for a much busier week this week!

Oh, my sweet family and friends, you are my heart! I miss you all sooo much, and love you more than anything! I apologize for the short email this week, but we really did not get any lessons this week and it was really hard to find work. We did lots of contacting in the streets, but that was about all. I hope to have much more to tell you next week! I hope you all have a great Thanksgiving and that you enjoy this time with your families! Obviously, we don't have Thanksgiving here in Chile, but I hope you all enjoy yours! ¡ciao!

xoxoxoxo,

Hermana Avery <3

My "Beautiful" Feet (November 18, 2013)

Poop on my Shirt (December 2, 2013)

I love you so much! I blew up my hair dryer
and straightener, so I'm looking like a hot
mess. There are electricity surges, haha!
The flowers in Chile are Beautiful!

These look like flowers, but they are leaves!


The gorgeous vineyards