Monday, December 31, 2018

Amor e Alegria Para Sempre - Sister Rebekah Avery

Written by Sister Rebekah Avery, training in the Provo Missionary Training Center in preparation for her service in the Portugal Lisbon Mission of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.

Sister Avery has been assigned to the Washington Spokane Mission, while awaiting her visa to Portugal.

I love the VanGough Star Wars Shirt!
Ola!

This week has been incredibly eventful, what with all of the devotionals and preparations for departure. It doesn't seem real that my time at the MTC is coming to a close. I feel as though I have been born and lived my whole life here, but soon it's going to be replaced by new places and experiences.

This morning my heart is full as I reflect on my time here. I have been so incredibly blessed and have learned so much about life in a short seven weeks.

I've learned a lot about what it means to love and let go while in the Missionary Training Center. In many ways, love is letting go. It's letting go of past disagreements, it's letting go of small things that drive you crazy, and it's letting go of those you hold most dear. It's letting go of what you think you know, and trusting that the Lord knows best. It's letting go of your own fears, worries, and concerns so that you can lift someone else up and remind them that the Savior will NEVER let go.

Something that I've struggled with is accepting that I have no control over what happens right now, and I've found myself on my knees more than ever as I've begged for the strength to relinquish my life and let it into the Lord's hands. But I testify with all of my heart that God has heard my prayers. He knows my name, He knows what I need, and He has a plan for me that I'm only just starting to understand. There are so many things that I can't control in my life right now and that's okay, because I'm in His hands.

But I can control my attitude. I don't care what happens, I have made the choice to be happy and live in an attitude of gratitude to my Father in Heaven every single day. That has been my greatest strength these past weeks, as I've been able to find the joy through Christ and hope in the knowledge that every day is a new day with new opportunities. And honestly? I have never been so happy in my whole life as I have been these past seven weeks - doctors visits and all. Happiness is not freedom from trials and worries, but a knowledge that you aren't defined by them.

While parting ways this week has been and will be hard, I am eternally grateful for the opportunity that I have had to love people so much that it hurts so badly to say goodbye. The people in my District have impacted my life forever, inspiring me and strengthening me to be so much more than I am. I'm indebted to my teachers who have paved the way and showed me the true meaning of selflessness and diligence. I would not trade this experience for the whole world.

Sou muito grata pela opportunidade para servir e ensinar o povo de Washington e Portugal, e esta experiencia com meu distrito. Eu sei que nos somos filhos de Deus, e Ele nos enviou a Terra para apprender, crescer, e servir nossos irmaos. Sim, nos temos Pais Eternos, e nos podemos viver com nossas familias para a eternade atraves da Expiacao de Cristo. Eu sei que Deus sempre escuta as nossas oracoes e que nos podemos receber as repostas de nossas perguntas por meio das escrituras e o Espirito. Nos somos amados por Deus. Eu posso sentir o amor de Deus em minha vida, e eu sei que voce pode tambem, se voce exercisa sua fe e agir por nos mesmos. Seguir Jesus Cristo, e voce vai ter alegria em sua vida para sempre.

My invitation for this week is to ask yourself what you would give to live with your family forever. Who would you be? What would you do? How would you act, so that you could be with your family for eternity? I know that we have this power through Jesus Christ, to be reunited with those we've lost or gone before us, but we must take the steps forward and let Him into our lives.

Take care and remember that you are loved! You are all in my prayers and I am so excited to see what life has in store for all of us.

Happy New Year!!! Make this one a great one! I already know it's going to be the best year of my life so far :)

Amo vos com todo de meu coracao!
Sister Avery

(Sorry, I didn't feel like typing on my iPad, so there are no accents and my Portuguese is probably awful XD )
My Testimony  (December 24, 2018) 

I'm in Spokane  (January 3, 2019)