Monday, August 19, 2013

A Baptism in Mexico

Written by Elder Brian Burgess, currently serving in the Mexico Puebla North Mission of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, speaking Spanish.

I sat back on Saturday, and as the 1st Counselor in the Ward, Hermano (Brother) M and Desiree (full names removed for privacy) walked in the water my heart melted. I had something to do with her eternal salvation! I also stood in the circle Sunday to confirm her a member of the church. She has been taught for 6 years. And her two daughters, ages 9 and 11, have been baptized in that time because they had a testimony.

One thing we stress in the mission is that an investigator needs three things: a friend, an assignment (such as to help with a service project or to bring the bread for the sacrament, to help them feel part of the ward), and to be nurtured by the good word of God. This was originally taught by President Hinckley.

In Mexico, in the past, baptisms happened fast. What's happening now is we have to contact those people baptized a long time ago because they are no longer active in the church. So we only baptize people after they have all three of the things mentioned above. That's why Desiree was baptized by the 1st Counselor. His family befriended her family since day one. And so when we asked her who she wanted to baptize her, she said him.

If I never get my toes in the water this whole mission I'll be happy. Because that means that the investigator has that friend in the ward to be with them forever. Because usually what happens down here is someone meets the Elders, becomes really good friends with them, and says, "Sure, I'll be baptized." Well, what happens when the Elder is transferred? They stop coming to church. I know Desiree isn't just a number. She was ready.

This is Desiree. After six years of missionary visits and gaining a strong
testimony, she entered the waters of baptism!

A Peak into My Life in Mexico

Carpet