Monday, February 2, 2015

I Am Not Trunky - Elder Kolby Madsen

Written by Elder Kolby Madsen, serving in the Denmark Copenhagen Mission of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, speaking Danish.

Elder Kolby Madsen
Mor,

Well for starters, I do not have any information about transfers. President sent out a message saying we will be getting the call on Friday, so I am guessing we will find out right after zone training. I will just tell you next Monday. I could be somewhere else... I guess that is just how it is, haha.

That’s so great to hear about Maren and Lindsey. I'm excited for Maren. The experiences she is getting now with be a strength to her throughout her life. (**Maren is serving in the temple until her mission to Arkansas.)

This week was super fast, but a little slower work wise. We had some people who were sick, and we had two days this week that we had to be in Copenhagen, so that was okay.

We also had some crazy things happen. Elder Peterson finally got out of the hospital and went to the mission home with President Sederholm. He will be going home early this week instead of next week, due to his health problems. Pretty sad, but he is in good hands and everything will work out. He is fighting through it all, just like a champ. It’s great to see that his last week in the land a lady that he has taught and been able to talk to almost weekly got baptized after about four years of telling the missionaries that she did not believe in God. And she was able to go to the temple to do baptisms for the dead on Saturday, so that was way good. We are way happy for Elder Peterson.

We had a great week, despite people being sick. It all went well. We were able to have Jo** in church yesterday. He blessed the sacrament, bore is testimony, then talked to bishop. We found out that Jo** had already been through the temple preparation class, and he came out of his interview with a big smile and his endowment temple recommend in hand. He plans on going to the temple to receive his own endowment on Saturday, so that should be way good. Making covenants. And to think that he was completely inactive about two months ago! The Lord knows His sheep!

We had a meeting in Copenhagen and it was the last time I will see Elder Earl until I go home. That was way weird, saying good bye. He leaves next week.

We had a good time meeting with Na** this week. We were able to talk to her friend again, and we were able to get her to give us her address. We are excited to get the information. She will one day be baptized. She believes in many of the same things, just has a problem with the "rules" of the church. But she will one day get it all figured out. No doubt.

We had another opportunity to see "The Other Side of Heaven" this week, and it was great. I recommend that you all watch that movie because there are parts in that movie that are very relate-able to most missionaries. It’s funny to see the struggles that he goes through and to think, "Wow, that reminds me of so and so," or of a similar situation.

There are at least three things in that movie that I know I will experience. They just come later on in life. One that hit me was at the very end when he is saying goodbye to everyone on the island. I could not help it....the thoughts just came. I AM NOT TRUNKY. I could just see how hard it was for him to leave, and it was not a fun feeling thinking that will be happening to me at some point. But it's just a part of life. It was hard to watch this time because I put myself in his shoes, and it was not fun.

Well, anyway, as I watched the movie this time, I thought of Moroni, chapter 7, in the Book of Mormon. It's a very good chapter, and there is a section of the chapter that talks about how anything that is good comes from God. As I was watching this, I was thinking about this scripture and how it's going to be hard, but it’s also going to be good. There is a reason that we come out here, get so attached to a new place, new people, and a new us, then get thrown back into a mixture of who we are at that moment and a life that seems to be the same as it was before, but in all reality is much different. In all phases.

I am trying to accept the fact that it will all come to an end, without being negative towards going home. I'm going to roll with the punches. I think the hard part is when you get transferred, for example, you get a new companion and new people to find and teach, but you have the same focus, the same work, and the same guide. The same purpose.

Our purpose should always be the same. Rely on the Lord, involve Him in our lives and our actions, and always preach the gospel. We should preach the gospel at all times and, if we have to, use words! Show charity to those around us, always thinking what Christ would do. It does not matter what their background is, their story, or their family situation. They are God's children, just like us. God loves us all the same. I know he does, and he wants what is best for us!

Med Kærlig Hilsen

Ældste Madsen

 Temple Trip (January 26, 2015)

Happy Wall  (February 9, 2015)