Monday, February 9, 2015

Trust God - Elder Joshua Avery

Written by Elder Joshua Avery, serving in the Singapore Mission of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, speaking Mandarin Chinese.

Elder Josh Avery - Singapore Mission
Dear Family and Friends,

This week I can't wrote as much because I failed to listen to the advice of my Mom and countless others who told me to learn to type.

I am really starting to like the new elders in our apartment, especially Elder Baker. He is sooo funny. He served in the Army for two years and gets deployed to Afghanistan 3 months after he gets back. He is an awesome district leader!

Things have been great in Ipoh. Yesterday Elder Li and I taught a recent convert after church. This lesson was in Mandarin and we were told that we only had 15 minutes. I was a little worried because my stutter has been really bad when I try to speak in Chinese. I said a little prayer in my heart and went into the lesson feeling confident. I was amazed as I taught. I didn't even have to think about the language as I taught because the words just came out and she understood almost all of what I said. The biggest miracle of all was that I didn't stutter in the lesson. I was so happy that we could be edified by the Spirit without my stutter getting in the way.

I have learned a lot about Asian culture, and one of the big things is Chinese people (specifically, the men) like to keep to themselves. When you knock on a Chinese person's gate, the last thing they are thinking is, "Please, white guy speaking broken Chinese, baptize me." It's a miracle that from time to time we find someone prepared who will let us in. The gospel overcomes all cultural and racial differences. The bond that comes from knowing we are all children of our Heavenly Father can soften even the hardest and most introverted hearts.

Love you all!

Elder Avery

We Are All Broken (February 2, 2015)

Happiness and Prosperity  (February 16, 2015)


The little creature Elder Li is holding is a chichoc, which is Malay for lizard. They are everywhere!