Monday, April 27, 2015

Interview with Presidente - Elder Jacob Avery

Written by Elder Jacob Avery, serving in the Peru Lima West Mission of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, speaking Spanish.

So this week we had interviews with President Archibald. I explained to him a few of the issues and concerns I had. One was the lack of success in Vegueta while Huara had started baptizing. He told me ''Huara was never Vegueta... Huara was never Vegueta.'' That was kind of a wakening thought. Oh, so I am in a tough area, well then I'll stop worrying so much.

I think that if I had known that I was going to be here for six months I would have started a little more calmly. I was looking for opportunities to get quick baptisms, but something I needed to learn about Vegueta is that the people all move together. ''That ship ain't gonna turn on a dime,'' President told me. I told him how we wanted to squeak in just one baptism, but he told me that there's going to be consequences for doing things the wrong way. Especially when it comes to teaching families and things like that, you gotta do it right instead of dragging someone to the font. ''Now I understand that there's wanting to add to your personal profile of 20 sum baptisms,'' (I'm in shock that he knows how many I've had) ''but you have to do things right.''

We talked a bit about the elders in my district, and I was surprised that he knew them so well. I'm expecting some changes this transfer but I don't know who goes or who comes. But I do know who I want to go and who I want to come ;) Just kidding! I have a great group of elders, but they make me feel old. There's one companionship of two 18 year olds.

Today I'm going on a change with the Zone Leaders (that means I'm loved)!  Elder Picuasi is going to manage the area alone! He's doing a lot better this week. I think that getting used to things around here is helping him a lot. He's still not used to Peru, but whatever. I love sleeping in a mud house with a sugar cane roof ... ;)

I'm feeling good :) which is great! I'm sure it has to do with you guys :) I love you all and can't wait to tell you all of my good stories. I filled up my second journal. Well, I have 4 journals and 2 are full and the others are about 80 percent full. Aren't you glad that I wrote? Love you guys.


Elder Jake Avery


El Arte de Aprender Callarse (April 20, 2015)

Cambios  (May 4, 2015)