Sunday, March 15, 2015

Crash - Elder Joshua Avery

Written by Elder Joshua Avery, serving in the Singapore Mission of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, speaking Mandarin Chinese.

Dear Family and Friends,

This week was great! Elder Wadsworth is such a great companion. He and I get along really well. This week has been really fun and full of miracles! He is an answer to prayers and is exactly who I need to help me grow. He goes home in June. He lives in Orem, so all of you back home should go to his homecoming. It has been nothing but miracles since he got here.

There is an old, grumpy lady who we haven't visited in the longest time because the last time we went the member with us offended her...woops! Her daughter is a member, went on a mission, and now lives in Colorado and is sealed to her family in the temple. We went there Friday and this grumpy, old lady was so different. As soon as she saw us, she let us in. Usually we have to convince her for a while to let us in. We taught her and her granddaughter about the restoration, and we got a return appointment. After the lesson her granddaughter gave us a question from her physics homework. I never took physics, so pray for me haha! We have till Friday to give her the answer.

A couple weeks ago we were teaching an investigator named Jo**, which is great because he is a potential priesthood holder and he was progressing rather quickly. Around Chinese New Year we lost contact with him. I have spent so much time on my knees praying to find Jo**.

Thursday was my first full day with Elder Wadworth, and we were so excited to pick up the pace here in Ipoh. We finished our studies and went to get some food. While we were biking, I hit a curb that was awkwardly sticking out and flew over my handle bars. Luckily, nothing was hurt other than my pride. I didn't know it at the time, but the phone that was in my shirt pocket flew over my handle bars too. We ate lunch and returned to do our weekly planning.

It wasn't until later that we realized I had lost the phone. We went back to where I crashed the bike and couldn't find our phone anywhere. As we were looking, Elder Wadswoth felt the impression to talk to this guy, but as soon as we went to talk to him he was busy talking on the phone. Then I saw a group of three girls crossing the street. I knew it would probably freak them out to have a foreigner chase them across the street, but I knew that the consequences for not listening to the Spirit would be much worse, so I chased them down and asked them if they had seen our phone. They said no, and then Elder Wadsworth began testifying of the gospel and was able to get a phone number for one of the girls. We meet with her later this week.

Since we were now phoneless, we went to buy another phone and were able to contact the girl who sold us the previous phone, and began trying to set up an appointment with her. While we were buying the phone, a different guy walked into the store and asked if we knew Jo**! I quickly answered yes, and he said, "Oh, he has talked about you two." Then he tried to walk out of the store, so I quickly asked him, "Do you know where he is?" He replied, "He is very busy now, but if you go to the lighthouse in old town, the owner can help you." THEN THE GUY JUST WALKED OUT! HE DIDN'T BUY A PHONE OR ANYTHING! Just like Preach My Gospel says, you will either be led to them or them to you....or a random guy will be led to you to lead you to them :)

I love you all!

Elder Avery

Transfers and the Gift of Tongues (March 9, 2015)

More Miracles in Malaysia  (March 23, 2015)

Elders Wadsworth and Avery

Ipoh, Malaysia