Monday, March 2, 2015

Building Skyscrapers - Elder Jacob Avery

Written by Elder Jacob Avery, serving in the Peru Lima West Mission of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, speaking Spanish.

"Anyone can build a skyscraper on the gospel of Jesus Christ."
Well, the good news. Jo** is progressing. He's told us a few times this week how God trusted Joseph Smith a lot and how God must have been so confident in him. I was like, ''Testify, hermano!'' He's progressing and going to church. His family isn't so nice though. I've only talked to one of his eight daughters. It's kind of sad how they just out cast the geezer out.

Everyone in the district is doing super well. Now I just need to give them a better example of baptisms because I feel like these kids are showing me up. My companion and I are searching for people to teach. We're just hoping to find someone ready, like Jo**, but 40 years younger with a wife that actually lives with him.

We're trying to get Ed** and Ma** to progress. It should be easy because they're very good parents and they used to be really active in their church. They just had some doubts about their old church, but they still know the Bible well and are starting to understand the Book of Mormon. Ed** goes to another city to work, but his wife is at home all week. So we're following up with her to make sure she reads her Book of Mormon. She'll feel it when she reads it.

Other than that, my week has been normal. We had to ride 20 minutes to find working internet because the power went out in Vegueta ... that's annoying. It's okay though.

We did a training with President this week. It was really good. His wife talked about the natural order of the gospel and why Preach My Gospel teaches the lessons in the order that they're in. It made me think a lot about building a sky scraper. I think that the reason why people have issues building faith in God is because they have a cruddy foundation and don't understand what He really is. Some of them lack an ability to interpret the blueprints (the scriptures) so they can't build as they should. Others ignore, or don't even know, that there are living directors and engineers to help them out (living prophets). It's all gotta go in a natural order though. At least I believe so.



Anyways, I'm short on time but I love you guys so much! I've eaten most all the food that you sent me (well, shared it), and I'm super excited to have Old Bay seasoning!! You guys are amazing and I love you all so much :) I don't know what I'd do without you. Have a great week and keep up the good stuff!

Love,

Elder Jake Avery

The Whole Shabang (February 23, 2015)

Strange Stories  (March 9, 2015)