Monday, November 3, 2014

I Can Be Superwoman - Sister Hannah Avery

Written by Sister Hannah Avery, serving in the Chile Vina del Mar Mission of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, speaking Spanish.

Hello family and friends! :)

How are you guys?? I am doing much better and feeling healthier for sure! After a long, hard week of fighting off a nasty virus, I am feeling more like Hannah again (I mean.... Hermana Avery again :) It's amazing how the Lord's hand is in all things, and when you can't be resting at home to get better, that He blesses us with the little things along the way so that we heal not just physically, but spiritually too.

We had a really successful week this week! It has been our BEST week, as far as numbers go, since I got here to Chorrillos...and no, I am not the missionary who likes to think about numbers all of the time. But I DO love when I can see that our hard work is not going unnoticed! :) We were able to find 8 new investigators, 4 of which we think can progress, and handed out 10 Books of Mormon. Hermana Martinez and I are feeling GREAT and have lots of high hopes for this week's work!!

We did have a crazy day yesterday and were almost shredded to bits by a crazy dog, for the first time in my mission. I thought that I was going to die! I prayed out loud (in English, haha!) and asked that we could get away safely and quickly, and the Lord definitely helped us get out of there. We are never going back! haha!

I wanted to share with you guys a quick experience that I had this week that really made me feel like the Lord is always aware of us and our needs. Ever since I got here to Chorrillos, we have had a really hard time finding people to teach and it's been frustrating, after being in Ovalle and Mirador, where lessons and baptisms basically come without too much effort. It's a big change, for sure, and it's humbled me a lot and helped me to trust in the Lord and the guidance of the Spirit more. Anyways, I have been praying every single day to find the people who the Lord has prepared for us to teach, and I was feeling like maybe it's just not time, etc. Well, I was reading in my scriptures, in the Book of Mormon, and found a scripture in 2 Nephi 16:11 which says, " Lord, how long?" And he said, "Until the cities be wasted without inhabitant, and the houses without man, and the land be utterly desolate;"

All of these weeks that I have been thinking that we have been here not finding people, I have been thinking the same thing.... "Lord, how long will we be here working like this without success?" and this scripture spoke to me, just as if it were the Lord himself saying, "Hannah, until there is no one else and nothing else in the world." When the going gets rough, and I feel like I just can't do any more, I look to the Lord, and He helps me remember that I, alone, am just Hermana Avery. But with Him, I can be Superwoman! :)


Well guys, I hope that you all have a great week! :) Know that you all are in my every thought and prayer! I love you! Talk to you next week!

xoxooxxoo Hermana Avery

Miracles Come Through Prayer (October 27, 2014)

15 Months  (November 10, 2014)