Monday, March 31, 2014

Baptism in a Canal - Elder Jake Avery

Written by Elder Jacob Avery, serving in the Peru Lima West Mission of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, speaking Spanish.

Dad, I'm trying to send pictures okay? :P It's not as easy as you might think....

I know what you mean about people seeming like they've been members their whole lives. There's a man who was baptized in my town (my area is bigger here) in January and he's super old and walks with a Gandalf staff. He goes to church every week and reads his scriptures and talks to us about doctrine in the Book of Mormon like he's read it 20 times.

Another member from the other town was baptized a month ago. The sister missionaries had felt impressed to talk about his wife (he's old too) and he cried and told them she had died two years ago and he was having a tough time. He was baptized in two weeks and has now been called to be Young Men's President. There are miracles we see all the time, but I feel like we're all too focused on the miracles that didn't happen.

Dad, I love you! Have a great week. Share this with mom in case she doesn't read it on her own. Thanks for helping me go on my mission.

Elder Aldana and Elder Avery
****************************
Hi Mom,

Tell Jared to have a very happy birthday! I can't believe he's already 16.

I'm so sorry that I don't have time or very many interesting stories, but I'm doing well and I'm trying to get some people baptized and reactivated. The number one problem with the less active members of the church here is that they never gained testimonies before they were baptized. Their questions are ''Joseph Smith'' and ''Book of Mormon.'' Okay, who baptized you? And why did they baptize you when you didn't understand?

Elder Garner
The other Elders in my ward baptized a lady who had been talking to the missionaries for years. Elder Garner had the inspiration to just teach her everything again, and the second lesson she accepted a baptismal date. We got to baptize her in a canal! The current was really strong and she was almost swept away but Elder Garner baptized her very well.

We went contacting in the ''chacras'' and found some people that are painfully shy because they probably only have human interaction outside their family once a month. We did find the cousins of a less active family, so we're going back to visit them.

Have a great week everyone. I promise, they'll be better news next week! Take care! Love you!

Elder Avery

Finding Sheep (March 24, 2014)

Until All People Have a Fair Chance to Accept the Gospel (April 7, 2014)