Monday, January 13, 2014

The Lord's Way

Written by Sister Justyce Oliphant, serving in the Mexico Tuxtla Gutierrez Mission of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, speaking Spanish.

I am so amazed at how fast the time has been flying by! Hermana Pérez and I were talking this morning, while washing our laundry, about how it feels like it was yesterday that was P-day (preparation day)! When we stay busy trying to find people to teach, we don´t have any time to worry about other things, only who we will be teaching next!

I am loving it here. It has been really cold, and the members have said that Enero (January) is one of the coldest months of the year!! wahoo... hahaha! It's a good thing I like the cold.

We have been struggling to help our investigators progress. When we think we have people moving forward, we find out something that they are struggling with that sets them back and basically makes us have to start over. One of the biggest things is that people are not married, but living together and have children. They just don´t want to commit to be married. It is really frustrating, but we do all that we can to help them. One couple is still, slowly, progressing towards marriage. They are out of town this week, but will be back on Thursday and we will meet with them and see how things are going.

Transfers are today and so far so good! I don´t think Hermana Pérez or I will be transferred because she is training me and it's a 12 week training period. I hope we don´t change because I love being with her and I am learning so much from her and her example. Ultimately, it's up to the Lord and what he wants and needs from us! That's one thing I have been learning, everything we do here on the mission should only follow what the Lord wants. Sometimes it's difficult, but I know the Lord is always right!

Another hard thing here on the mission is having to say goodbye to investigators who are not progressing. We had a sad week because some of our favorite investigators stopped progressing and didn´t want to work towards baptism anymore. I just hope that someday soon, the message of the gospel will touch their hearts and they will come to realize how amazing this gospel is!

We met a less active member. He has been a member for 12 years and his wife died 16 years ago. His house is about the size of mom and dad's bathroom. He has a bed, small table and some shelves. He works as a guard for the neighborhood. We visited him on Christmas, New Year's and last Friday. He is 80 years old and has problems with his knees. I am not sure what it is, but his one knee is bent funny and causes him so much pain. On Friday, he expressed his feelings about the gospel and Christ and how he knows that when he dies his pain will be taken away and he will see his wife again. He is hard of hearing and his voice shakes when he talks, but you can tell in his eyes how much pain he is in, and also how much love he has. Walking away from his humble home Sister Perez and I were silent and when I looked over at her, she too, had tears running down her face. We arranged for a ward member to pick him up for church every other week (he works every other Sunday and can not attend church). I am loving all the people that we meet. Everyone has different stories, his is only one of MANY that I have. I have been truly humbled to meet and talk with all the people in the various situations here in San Cristobal!!

Well, week 6 is finished here in Mexico! I hope everyone is doing well at home. I am doing well!

Always remember to pray together, and personally, and the Lord will bless you!! I have definitely seen the blessings that come from prayer in my life!

Le amo mucho!!!

Hermana Oliphant

Happy New Year from San Cristobal!

Mi Amor (My Love)

Add caption