Monday, January 13, 2014

Spiderman

Written by Elder Brian Burgess, serving in the Mexico Puebla North Mission of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, speaking Spanish.

Hey Hey Hey! It's Elder Burgess!

So this week was great. We had a zone conference Tuesday with Elder Stone, the assistant to the president, and tomorrow we have another one with President Christensen. Tuesday, in the night, I locked us out of the house. So we grabbed a ladder from a member, carried it a mile or two, and put it on this telephone pole. We did some Spiderman moves to get to a window that my companion hadn't locked. It was a miracle it wasn't locked!

Our house has been REALLY cold, colder than UTAH, cold. All houses are concrete, and my bed is right next to a single pane window. I sleep in jeans, shorts, sweats, shirt, long sleeved shirt, sweater (sometimes two), and a jacket. And my scarf...very cold. Also, our house is above this little store, and there wasn't a door separating us from the store, or the store from our house. So when they opened the store, cold air just tunneled up the stairway to the house. Well, this week a member in our ward finally put in two doors, one to separate us from the store, and one to separate them from us. It would have been really easy for anybody to just walk up the stairs and steal our stuff. But that never happened! :) So now our house is a little bit warmer! AWESOME!

In our ward there are two sets of missionaries, and we decided to start a ward activity night with the other Elders. So last Friday, and every Friday from now on, we'll have an activity night. It was great. Me and my companion had the lesson. We taught about the Godhead and used Mormon Messages. The other Elders put together a minute to win it activity. Next Friday it's our turn (Elder Valis and I) to plan the activity and they will teach the lesson. It was a great experience and I'm happy we could start the tradition.

Some weeks are tougher than others. Last week seemed like every appointment fell through, and I am SOOOO EXHAUSTED all the time. So I hope that this week will be full of success and open eyes.

I know this church is TRUE. I am so thankful to my Heavenly Father for the life I have, and the knowledge I have about the Gospel of his son, Jesus Christ. Honestly, my life has completely changed on the mission. I am on cloud nine!

Your favorite missionary,

Elder Burgess

Day of the Kings