Thursday, June 6, 2013

Elder Remund's First Week in the MTC

Written by Elder Dallin Remund

HI GUYS!!!

Just so you guys know, Wednesdays are my P-Days, but I can get letters and packages any day of the week.

I've been having an amazing time in the MTC. The first day was kind of overwhelming, but I was excited and I learned a lot. Very humbling.

The MTC is awesome! I have a way sweet District. There are 6 Hermanas and 6 of us Elders in our District. We get along really well, and all of us are pretty good at Spanish. It's so great getting to be with a group of kids who want to serve the Lord 24/7. My companion, Elder Smith, is so great. He's from Dana Point, California, and he went to BYU last year. We're so different, but we get along really well and are so glad that we got great first companions. He's going to the New York, New York North Mission. There are two elders going to Honduras, one going to Independence, Missouri, and the other one going to Ogden, Utah (He's from Brazil, and he's the funniest kid on the planet!). Our whole District feels like family.

I have seen so many people I know at the MTC! The first day I got to see Elder Riboldi and Hermana Kerr. It was a great reunion for the first day in the MTC. Throughout the week, I've seen Elder Allinson and Sister Herzog from Snow College, and then from Herriman I've seen Elder Isaac Smith, Sister Avery Holt, and I caught a glimpse of Hermana Jeppson, but I didn't get to say hi to her unfortunately. It's so great being able to see my great friends out here in the MTC! I can't wait to see more of you guys come out here.

The mission life is so great. A lot of people focus on the restrictions here, but I've realized that the restrictions are there for a reason, and following them with exact obedience brings reverence. It's a spiritual powerhouse here! We are constantly bearing our testimonies and having really insightful studies. Just last night we had a devotional with Tad R. Callister of the Presidency of the Seventy. He shared with us how the New Testament is the blueprint for the home (the Church) we have today, and he shared scriptures that correlated to the ordinances and teachings we have in the true Church today. Very insightful!

On Sunday, we had Dan Gibbons come act out a monologue as Dr. Willard Roberts from early Church history who was there when the martyrdom occurred in Carthage. It was so powerful and it made my Sunday! The devotionals are awesome. I get chills when the whole auditorium of missionaries sings hymns in unison. It's very powerful. They said that they want people to join the choir for a very special event on June 23rd. I'm not sure what it is, but I'm pretty excited. I've heard whispers about it being a broadcast for a special missionary devotional (fingers crossed for an apostle!).

The Spanish is coming along great! I'm so glad that I took Spanish in high school. We had to teach a mock investigator our second full day in the MTC. It was so crazy. I understood him perfectly, and I kept a constant conversation with him the whole time, but trying to explain the first lesson in Spanish was so hard. We taught him a second time and it went so much better. It's so nice to have those mock investigators so you can feel what it will be like in the field. You really have to depend on good study of Preach My Gospel and the Spirit. All you missionaries preparing right now, get to know Preach My Gospel right now! You will be so grateful if you already have the lessons learned, and then you can learn deeper and teach by the Spirit! The Church is true!

The MTC has been a truly humbling experience so far! One week is gone already. It went by so fast!

I'm doing so great, and I hope I can hear from more of you! If you have some time, I'd love to get a letter or Dear Elder. Tell me how life is!

I know that my Savior lives. I am incredibly grateful for His sacrifice. He didn't just tell us what to do, He showed us what to do. As members of the Church, we should not tell people what to do, but live our teachings and show what everyone should do. I know this Church is true and I'm grateful for all the blessings that have come because of it! I'm enjoying P-Day and we're going to the temple today, which will be awesome! I've missed going to the temple all the time!

Con mucho amor,

Elder Remund

Elder Remund will be preaching the Gospel in the Spanish language.