Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Elder Burgess's First Week at the Provo MTC

Written by Elder Brian Burgess, currently training at the Provo MTC. He will report to the Mexico Puebla North Mission of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in the beginning of July.

Hola,

Yo se que el Libro de Mormon es verdadero. Thats just a little taste of Spanish. Sure, it's a simple sentence. But I know more in these 5 days, or 5 and a 1/2, or 6 days...I don't know, it flew by... than I ever thought I would know.

Alright, so first off, I am not in the new MTC apartments, also known as the "west" campus. For some reason, me and my district's addresses are all weird. But I am in the dorms. I still love it, regardless. I only go into like three buildings; my dorm, the main hall with the cafeteria, and the building with mi clase. My companion's name is Elder Sligting (Its said like Slighting without the H though) from Riverton, Utah. He's a really cool guy. In my district there are eight Elders (This may differ from the letter I sent you, Mom and Dad, but I was wrong then). In my room there are four guys. There are six beds, but for some reason, even with the extra couple thousand missionaries here, we have two empty beds. Its nice and roomy, super chill.

In my room is me and my companion. We are both going to serve in Mexico Puebla North. Then there are Elders Longenecker and Procuniar. Elder Longenecker is from Virginia, but his family is currently living in Utah. His dad coaches at Lone Peak or something. Elder Procuniar is from Orange County, California. And they will also serve with me in Mexico Puebla North. In the other room are the other four Elders. Elder Sellars and Elder Vandiver. Elder Sellars is also going to Mexico Puebla North, and he's from California, Bay area. Elder Vandiver, Elder Sellars's companion is from Alabama, and he'll be serving in Mexico Monterrey East. Then we also have Elder Rinlisbacher from Nephi, Utah. He says he knows Sarah. He actually graduated a week before he came to the MTC, almost two weeks ago now. And Elder Rupp from Japan. He's not Japanese. His dad is in the Marines and works in the Pentagon, so for some reason, he grew up in Japan. Both Elder Rinlisbacher and Elder Rupp are going to Monterrey East. Well, that's my district. Our District Leader is Elder Rinlisbacher.

Everything is going great. Our teacher, Hermano Hopoate, is such a spiritual giant. I have learned so much from him. Hermana Mackay is another teacher we have, and my testimony has grown from her advice and testimony. I am truly converting myself and loving my investigators. I got here last Wednesday, and within one hour I was speaking Spanish. By Friday we were teaching our first investigator. Super scary. In Spanish.

The first conversion story on my mission has got to be myself. Words of advice from millions, especially Elder Holland and Elder Bednar. Everyone reading this, if you want an amazing devotional, and if you want to experience the spiritual "high" I'm on, look up "Character of Christ" by Elder Bednar, and watch it. It's amazing!!!

I am trying to put pictures up, but for some reason, it won't let me. I have a micro SD, and this computer doesn't want to read the adapter. :( Give me a minute and i'll work on it......

Well, the food is actually pretty good. All we do is read, eat, and preach the gospel. I have learned more about myself in these last few days than I ever have in a week. Basically everything I do is in Spanish, even though the language isn't the most important part. I really want you to see these pictures... I guess you'll all have to wait till next week. I'm sorry. No one in this lab can get theirs to work either. Mom, I need your computer help. We are all noobs.

I love what I am doing, and it's weird looking in the mirror seeing that name tag. Wow, I can't believe I'm here and it's P-day (Preparation Day). Today I'm off doing laundry, which should be dry by now, then I don't know what we are doing. I'll roll with the punches. I have also seen a lot of Elders from Skyview; Cook, Olsen, Kidman, Lee, Nielson, Fuller, Jensen, Mickelson, Soto, and I'm sure there's a few more. It's fun seeing people I know.

I love you all. Please be patient, pictures will come, I promise.

Elder Brian Burgess

Mexico...Arriba!


Elder Burgess Reports to the Provo MTC

Elder Burgess (right) at the Provo MTC

Elder Sligting and Elder Burgess
Provo Temple, Utah