Monday, June 17, 2013

Elder Madsen's First Impressions of Denmark

Written by Elder Kolby Madsen

Well, my first  impression of the land is...it's super cool. We had a ton of fun the first day. We got to see some castles and other sites in the city. I have a ton of pictures that I am going to send back. The food so far tastes the same, except the kebab. It’s amazing! We have had normal food so far.

It’s so different here because when I try to contact people on the streets, they just ignore me. It’s hard because when you go up to someone and ask how their day is going, that is considered something that you would only ask someone that you know, not someone that you just met on the street.

The language is still coming, not as fast as I would like. I just want to know it. It also kind of stinks because in California we had lessons upon lessons. Here, I haven’t had one yet. So it's challenging because I can’t really learn how to speak the language if I am not talking to people about the gospel. Another thing that is hard is that everyone here knows English. So when I sound American, they just naturally change to speaking English. Also, two of our three investigators need to be taught in English because it's their native tongue. I just need to focus on the language and start to really buckle down on what I am here for. Once I get used to everything, and we finally get some lessons to teach, everything will work out. It always does!

Enough about the down side of things. We had three investigators come to church yesterday. It was awesome. One of them, Fosu, has a baptismal date scheduled for August 4, but he wants to move it up. So hopefully sooner.

My trainer is Ældtse Hansen. He is from Indiana, so he talks like a black man in English. It's super funny. I lucked out because the first day we were here, we went into this super nice apartment...I think they said in USD it costs equivalent to $2500 monthly. We got to know the Assistants (to the Mission President) really well. They are super funny and positive. When I was told I'd be living with them, and over the Frederiksberg area, I was excited. Frederiksberg is the Heart of Copenhagen. It’s so much fun. I get to learn a ton from the Assistants, and they only speak Danish around the house.

I am probably going to go buy some ties in the near future because I only have six. Biggest mistake of my life!...just kidding.

I know that this Gospel is true. Every time someone laughs in my face here, it just strengthens my testimony more. Because I know it's true, I keep trying to tell everyone about it. I know that everything is going to work out in life. As long as we are obedient to the commandments that the Lord has so lovingly given us, He will continue to bless our family and friends, and our lives.

Since I have been out here, I have learned a couple things. First, this Gospel is all about missionary work. We need to be a missionary always. If you can do anything to help the missionaries out, I strongly suggest you do it. Just remember, every time a member here does something for me, you could be blessing a missionary's life back home. Whenever the members have us over, it makes our day easier and more worthwhile. Please help them.

The second thing I have come to know is the Lord loves His missionaries. And the Lord also loves THOSE WHO love His missionaries. And with love comes blessings. If you want to show your love to the Lord, and show true gratitude, serve others and serve those WHO serve others.

I love you, and I hope all is well with you. Have a wonderful week. Oh, and it takes about a week for mail. You always ask if I need anything...that watch I was going to buy here is about $200 USD, so you could get the same watch at home on Amazon for about $50 USD. The watch is called SKAGEN. It has a full metal band and is very durable.

Med Kærlig Hilsen,

 Ældste Madsen

Yes, these really are MY pants! (June 24, 2013)

Elder Madsen Arrives in Denmark  (June 16, 2013)


I made it! Frederiksberg Castle, Copenhagen, Denmark
There are bikes EVERYWHERE!















Church of Our Lady, Copenhagen, Denmark
Home of the original Christus statue


Church of Our Lady, Copenhagen, Denmark
All the original Apostles, except Peter

Church of Our Lady, Copenhagen, Denmark
The Apostle Peter, holding the keys of the Priesthood


Eating my first kebab! Mmmmmmm

The view from my apartment










My new Danish pants

Side view of my new Danish pants

Best view of my new Danish pants