Monday, December 29, 2014

It's an Amazing Life - Sister Hannah Avery

Written by Sister Hannah Avery, serving in the Chile Vina del Mar Mission of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, speaking Spanish.

(Click on photos to enlarge them.)

District Relay Race Winners - We kicked the elders' trash!
Hey family and friends! :)

I hope that you all had a great Christmas and it was white! Ours was HOT, sunny, and full of ice cream to cool us off :) Hermana Evans and I really tried to make this Christmas the best one yet, and it really was! Here is what we did to make it one to remember:







Christmas Eve Tacos
1. We dressed up in red and white and were matching on Christmas Eve and Christmas. If two American "gringas" don't stand out enough, we sure did on Christmas, haha! We spread the Christmas cheer by giving people the "He is the Gift" cards and trying to sing Christmas hymns with people that we got into the houses of.

2. Christmas Eve we made tacos for lunch (not Christmas-y, but we were craving them! haha!) and my daddy's famous "cake mix brownies" with ice cream. For dinner, we went to our ward mission leader's house and had a really nice dinner. Turkey, potatoes, and this really AMAZING homemade ice cream cake that I have to make for you all one day.... it was soooooo good.....

3. Santa's cookies got burnt, so we ended up eating Danish cookies with hot chocolate..... WAY yummy.... and, we can't have men in the house anyways, so I guess the burnt cookies was a sign that we needed to be obedient missionaries and NOT let Santa in the house, LOL!

Christmas Jammies!




4. I opened my Christmas Eve "jammies" and turns out that I was matching with a few other cute girls in Utah...my sisters and mom! :) haha! thanks mama :)
Christmas breakfast :)
Presents from HOME!
5. Christmas morning, we opened up presents from our families and then made cinnamon rolls :) Who doesn't make cinnamon rolls for Christmas breakfast?! Just because we are in Chile??? I don't think so..... you betcha, we ate those :)
Treats!

Our Christmas feast!
 6. We had Christmas lunch with a wonderful family and then went upstairs to Skype with our families! It was SOOOO wonderful talking to everyone and catching up :) It's hard to believe that this was my LAST Skype call from the mission.... time just goes by too fast!


We had TURKEY!!
 Well, we really did do a LOT of other things, and it really was memorable :) We tried to make this a "home away from home" and it worked! It's especially awesome to have Christmas as a missionary, and remember Christ more than the presents and celebrations! It really has been special for me, and it will be something I never forget!

So, we have transfers again this Wednesday, New Years Eve! PLEASE pray that Hermana Evans and I stay together for one more transfer! We are praying our hearts out for that, haha :) I will let you know how things go when I write next Monday!

Well guys, I hope that you all have a great week and New Year's celebration! After all of the things that I have looked back on from this year, I just can't adequately express my gratitude for all of the blessings and miracles that I have seen and received this year. I never would have imagined my life anywhere else, and just can't believe how much we can learn and grow in such a short period of time! It's an amazing life :) Have a great end of 2014, and I will talk to you in 2015! :)

xoxoxooxo Hermana Avery

Merry Christmas from Chorillos (December 22, 2014)

My Final Transfer  (January 5, 2015)