Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Lessons in Peru...alarm clocks, traffic, and such - Elder Jacob Avery

Written by Elder Jacob Avery

Elder Avery is currently training at the Peru Missionary Training Center (MTC). He will be serving in the Peru Lima West Mission of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, speaking Spanish.

My sincerest thanks for all the prayers that have blessed me in the CCM (Centro Conductor de Misionerios). We watched a talk by one of our beloved Apostles, Jeffrey R. Holland, in which he said that we (missionaries) are the most commonly blessed members of the church besides Christ's prophet, Thomas S. Monson. I'm looking back at my week, and I know that I've felt your prayers carry me through.

Well, the Latinos all left to their missions this morning, and this place is so quiet without them. I'll miss my Spanish speaking friends, but playing American football with the other North American missionaries was so amazing, and I had so much fun. The only issue is that I'm treated like the "special kid" when it comes to physical activities. Every time I catch the ball or make a defensive play, all the Elders are like, ''Good job, Elder Avery! Nice hands! Good D, good D!'' ... It's okay, I know that I'm super athletic deep within me, and that's all that matters :)

Today we went to a store called Metro, which is sort of a super market, and really the only American kind of store nearby. Our Peruvian teacher told us that either Tottus or Metro would have an alarm clock, but Elder Larsen and I couldn't find one for the life of us! Elder Larsen put his suitcase up on the shelf where they go, but he didn't see Elder Degala's clock up there, so now it's thoroughly broken. Since we couldn't find a new clock, Elder Larsen replaced the broken clock with his own.

While we were out looking for an alarm clock, we learned some important things about traffic laws and rules in Peru:

#1. Drive as aggressively as possible.
#2. Size is totally irrelevant to the gaps you can squeeze into.
#3. Traffic lights are optional and are only put there as a guideline.
#4. Honk as often as humanly possible, just for fun.
#5. In a roundabout, kill or be killed.
#6. Oncoming traffic lanes were invented so that you can have another option if traffic is congested in the direction you are travelling.

The buses we take to the temple, Tottus, and Metro are extremely crowded, to the point that we don't need to hold on to anything because we are packed in there like sardines. Throw in some more fun by driving on roads with no obvious traffic rules. Yes, I'm almost used to it :) We haven't seen or heard of a car wreck yet. The traffic is usually only going about 30 miles an hour, and the local drivers are very good at what they do, so it works out in the end.

I still have plenty of Dove chocolates, and I gave some to the people I taught in the slums the other night. My companion for that day was a native speaker, Elder Ipo (name changed for privacy). He is a dwarf. I was so scared that we were going to get mugged or beaten, but God protects His missionaries. Elder Ipo did most of the talking, and I did the knocking. He was a little more shy than me, which stinks because I can't speak the language yet. We shared a copy of The Book of Mormon with someone, which was exciting.

The highlight of my week, however, has been my reading the Book of Mormon again. I can happily and proudly proclaim that it is the word of God! I am so glad that the message my God has sent me to share is the fullness of His gospel, truth and happiness. Jesus Christ of Nazareth is the Messiah and Son of God, and today we have a second witness and testimony of the blessings of His sacred Atonement.

I hope things are going well in the states, and I hope that God is blessing you the way He is blessing me.

Elder Avery's Third Week in Peru

Elder Avery's First Full Week in Peru

Elder Larsen and Elder Avery
Lima Peru Temple


Elder Avery's Peru MTC District
Lima Peru Temple