Monday, July 8, 2013

American Independence, Denmark Style! Elder Kolby Madsen

Written by Elder Kolby Madsen, currently serving in the Denmark Copenhagen Mission of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.

Everything is going great. I did get my watch. It's perfect. Thank you so much! It's really nice looking, and I hope not to break it.

This week has been good. We had a leadership training, so all the district leaders, zone leaders, and the assistants met with the mission President. While they were in training, I got to go on splits with Elder Christensen and led my area. It was way cool :)

We played another good three hours of basketball today. The knee is feeling good, but I still take it super easy. We are hoping to get bikes soon, so yeah. We have a media training conference tomorrow, so I will let you know next week on that. We have heard that we will be getting iPads, but we don't know when. Crazy stuff! WHO knew this would all happen?

So, I just read an email today from someone I did not recognize at first. The name was Monica (name changed for privacy), and I was really confused. As I read the email, I realized that it was Monica from California. She is one of the sisters that I was fortunate enough to teach in Fresno. This is what she wrote:
 
"Elder! I hope this is the right address. I don't know why I thought your name was spelled Madson. Well, if you don't know who this is, it's Monica. I don't know if you remember my sister and I but even if you don't I just wanted to write you to let you know how grateful I am. I am so grateful for the work you do. Because of you and  the other elders my sister and I have found our way back to Jesus. Since getting baptized our lives have changed in the best way. I don't know why we were so afraid of making these changes. I guess if I had known how amazing it is, I wouldn't have hesitated the first time you guys invited us to get baptized. I hope you're having a really great time out there in... Finland? I think that's where you said you were going. If it's not, I'm sorry, I have a horrible memory. I hope you get this!! Thanks again for all that you do and keep up the amazing work  (:

Sincerely,
Monica

I was super amazed. It’s been really hard with the language and stuff, and I haven't really felt like I was making a difference. This little email made me cry, I am not going to lie. I feel so blessed that I was able to go to California, teach these two wonderful sisters, and have the Lord guide us in what to teach them. The Lord knows exactly what we need, as well as what his children that are not in His gospel need. I learned so much from that little part of my mission, and am so grateful that I was able to be a part of that. Elder Elkington, who is home now, wrote me and said that Monica's sister stood up in Sacrament meeting and bore her testimony on the importance of missionaries. And from what he told me, she said that even though I was only there for three weeks, that she knows I was there for her. She said she really wanted the three of us (missionaries) there, but that she knows I am here serving and finding more people just like her. I am super happy for her and her sister. They will do great.

Things I have learned are:  1. It's not all about baptisms, and 2. The Lord has received two more children into the fold, and I just had the opportunity to get to see the process in which the Lord did that.

I also had a ton of fun this week. I got to eat that burger...1000 grams of meat! Probably the best thing I have ever done in my life. It was great. I have pictures.

Alex (name changed for privacy), one of our investigators, fed us dinner the other night. As we walked out of his apartment, we saw this guy. We started to talk to him and found out he is friends with Alex. Well, long story short, he might be coming to FHE (Family Home Evening) tonight. So maybe, possibly, a new investigator. I can't wait. The Lord's work is hastening, and I love it.

Love you. Have a great week, and I will talk to you næste uge!

MKH
Ældste Madsen

It's Not Always Sunshine and Butterflies (July 15, 2013)

Baptisms in Denmark  (July 1, 2013)


Celebrating American Independence in Copenhagen, Denmark



Elder Madsen loves food challenges



Elder Madsen and the colossal burger