Thursday, July 4, 2013

Elder Avery's First Email from Peru

Written by Elder Jacob Avery

Well, that was definitely an adventure. Our flight to Los Angeles had something like six Sisters and eight or ten Elders. When we got to LA we were hungry, and it was still early but felt like afternoon. I settled for Panda Express. When we were looking for a place to sit, we found Elder Walthers asleep across a booth. He could have been pinned as a Mormon from a mile away :)

While I was eating, a Hispanic man approached me and asked if I was Christian. I told him yes, and kind of gestured around like, ¨We´re all Christian.¨ But he just focused on me. He told me that he was guided to me by the Holy Spirit. Then he let me sign his tricked out Santa Bibla, and we prayed that the spirit would guide me as it guided him. Before he left, I gave him a copy of The Book of Mormon. Needless to say, it was cool, but it was one of the strangest things that has ever happened to me. He was pretty intense, and all of us were very confused.

The layover was fine because we were all together. We had an Elder and Sister join us later on, and the flight was sooo nice, but really long. We got two meals tho!

When we got to Lima, the dude who stamped my passport asked, ´´How many days in Peru?´´

´´uhh....730?´´

Intense glare from the dude, so I corrected myself...´´6 weeks??´´

´´Okay!´´

Ya, so I hope my visa gets here soon.

Our bus got in a fender bender while leaving the airport, and the car ride was an hour long. The MTC (Peru Missionary Training Center) is really nice. My North American companion is Elder Larsen, who was with me all day yesterday. I still have yet to meet my Peruvian companion, but every time I speak a word of Spanish, they rattle off and I get confused.

My name tag that they gave me when I arrived said "Elder Overy"... yeah, we´re fixing that now. But everything else is fine and we are all kind of lost and clueless together, so it's okay.

Well happy 4th of July. Tell everyone I love them. Bye!

Elder Avery's First Full Week in Peru (July 9, 2013)

Elder Avery Leaves for the Peru MTC (July 3, 2013)