Saturday, April 20, 2013

Sister Jeppson's First Letter Home


Saturday, April 20, 2013

HOLA!!!!

mmmm... I have no idea where to begin. Elder Madsen hit it spot on when he said the MTC was like catching 50 kids at the bottom of the slide. BAH SOOO overwhelming, but honestly each day it gets better and better. I love it here!! (except at 9 pm when we're still studying!) The spirit is so incredible. I definitely feel the Lord's help. The only time I felt home sick was the first day. The Lord has helped me so so so much. I feel like this is where I am suppose to be. I do get overwhelmed at times, but I just take it one day at a time, and that helps.

The first day was a blur, my host brought me to the main office where I got my tag, schedule, and study materials. I then went to my apartment, dropped off my suitcase, and then went straight to class. That's where I met mi companero, Hermana Uele. She is from Tonga and Spanish will be her third language. She is going to LA California. There are eight missionaries in my district and most of them are going to DC South. I have not met anyone that is going to Arizona... yet...

Our teacher's name is Hermano Stevenson, and guess where he served... MESA ARIZONA!! He is super animated, and such a geek, but we love him anyway. You can tell he has a sincere desire to help us out.

I have seen soo many missionaries that I know! Like Elder Nestman, Elder Smith, Hermana (Brooke) Bateson (best friend from middle school).... and finally,, I SAW ELDER MADSEN!! It was on my second day and I just about cried. I was just about to hug him, but then I realized that probably wouldn't be the best because the rules are so strict about touching the Elders.. so he gave me a nice firm, 3 second handshake.

We met our Branch president. El nombre es Presidente Tyler. I love him!! He is so great. When he first talked to us he just gave us a motivational message and I just about cried. He always has a story to tell. He takes about 10 minutes to get a point across, but I enjoy it. We all had the chance to tell a little about ourselves then share a brief testimony. Afterwards President Tyler took us out individually and interviewed us. He told me, "Sister Jeppson, you are going to be a great missionary. I could feel it in my bones when you were baring your testimony." Tears?? of course there were!!

Espanol es muy dificil!! We taught our first lesson yesterday to our investigator Claudio.... ya it was..ummm...well not great. I could understand what he was saying for the most part, but I could not reply at all. And my companion was just lost. It got to the point where he pulled out his iPad and used Google translate. WE get to teach him again tonight.

I know why I got called to a Spanish speaking mission... because I get so caught up in teaching the doctrine correctly, I neglect the importance of the Spirit. Learning another language forces you to take a step back and teach like a child would teach...very basic and with the Spirit.

Quote of the week from President Tyler, "Obedience brings blessing, but exact obedience brings miracles."

I love reading your letters!! And I will do my best to respond to all of them. But when missionaries say they don't have a lot of time, boy are they right!! I have like no time, but I look forward to mail time!! Oh, and by the way, my P day will be on Fridays from now on. Oh and another thing, my whole district leaves in 6 weeks, but I'll be here until about June 4, because of Visitor Center Training. I get to train in Temple Square... don't even think about coming up ;)

I LOVE YOU ALL!!! The Church is true. Next letter I'll bare my testimony en espanol!!!

Love,

Hermana Jeppson

PS: Tell Hannah congrats!!!!!! That's so so so so cool!!!!

Sister Jeppson Reports to the Provo MTC  (April 17, 2013)

What That First Letter Means to a Mom (April 24, 2013)

Sister Jeppson's Second Week at the Provo MTC (April 26, 2013)