Monday, July 27, 2015

Make Me Look Shuai! - Elder Joshua Avery

Written by Elder Joshua Avery, serving in the Singapore Mission of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, speaking Mandarin Chinese.

At the barber shop
Hi Everyone!

This week was super awesome. Monday was an adventure over at the barber's. We went to a member's barber shop and they gave us a good discount. I didn't know what to get, so I just told the guy "make me look shuai!," which being interpreted is just "make me look handsome." That made him very excited and he decided to cut my hair so I look like an Asian person, haha! It looks alright though, so I can't complain. I have never seen a barber concentrate so much :) After that we were able to get some phone numbers at the night market nearby.

Wednesday the mission president came over. He is awesome and he says he is going to look into getting us some of the Taiwan language material. That would be sweet! He is so awesome. He has a son our age at BYU (Brigham Young University), so I think he gets us pretty well.

Thursday we went to visit a member. We got there early, so we knocked some houses in the area. Only one person actually acknowledged us. Most of the time, Chinese people come to the door and then ignore us if they aren't interested. Occasionally they might wave their hand trying to signal us away, but we missionaries just wave back and say, "hello!" When we taught the member, we were surprised to find out that the daughter has been less active for a while. It was a great find!

Last night we had a lesson at a part member family's house, but my companion had to go do a baptismal interview. We elders went to the interview, but found that 2 of the 5 bikes had flat tires. So my companion volunteered to ride on Elder Hanks' handlebars! Thankfully it was only about a 10 minute ride. We got there on time and had a great lesson with the part member's family.

The branch is doing pretty well. It is hard opening a new area, but I feel like it will be up to full speed by the end of this transfer. I'm a little behind on my language study goals, but I think I can catch up this week.

Love you all!

Elder Avery

Johor Bahru (July 20, 2015)

Winter Olympics in China 2022  (August 3, 2015)


The haircut turned out OK!
Elders in the Singapore Mission

I wish this was my ride!....

...but, this is actually my ride, haha!

Cute kids at church