Monday, June 15, 2015

A Unicorn on the Train - Elder Joshua Avery

Written by Elder Joshua Avery, serving in the Singapore Mission of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, speaking Mandarin Chinese. 

Dear Family and Friends,

Last week we talked to a Chinese girl on the train who was coming back from work. She was very friendly and willing to meet with us during her lunch hour on Wednesday. We taught her about the restoration of the gospel and her main concern (like most Malaysians) is why is this any different from any other religion? They all teach us to do good. I still have not found a good way to answer that, so we testified of the restoration and gave her a copy of the Book of Mormon.

After we gave her a copy, we were surprised when another girl who had been sitting nearby asked if she could have a copy as well. We had no more copies on us, so we got her number and met her two days later. We asked her why she came up to us and she said, "If you see a unicorn walking in the forest, wouldn't you go up to it?" She said that she had studied in the United Kingdom for her masters degree and that she is so surprised that there are Mormons in Malaysia. At the moment her interest level doesn't seem too high because she is very secular and feels that religion is purely cultural, but I know that we were placed in her path for a reason and if she acts on what we teach she will feel the Spirit, which transcends all cultures.

Then later this week I got locked in the bathroom for an hour. I went in and did my business, and when I tried to come out the door wouldn't unlocked. The other elders tried a lot of things, but it was tricky because it is a glass sliding door. Then a repair man came for the other broken things in our apartment and he was very amused by me being locked in the bathroom and left me trapped in there (thanks buddy!) haha! Luckily, Elder Li was finally able to find a screwdriver that was small enough to slide under the door.

I think one of my favorite things about Kuala Lumpur is just being able to talk to everyone on the train. No one wants to talk to us if we are at their door, but you can actually talk to them on the train. And the trains have air conditioning!! That's the best. I love you all. Let me know what questions you have for me!

Kuala Lumpur (June 8, 2015)

Working in KL  (June 22, 2015)


Our kitchen in Kuala Lumpur
A determined lizard