Monday, June 8, 2015

Kuala Lumpur - Elder Joshua Avery

Written by Elder Joshua Avery, serving in the Singapore Mission of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, speaking Mandarin Chinese. 

Hey Family and Friends,

It's been 2 weeks, so I will have to give you the Reader's Digest version (he couldn't login to his email last week).

My last week in Melaka was exciting. Elder Earl and I had been trying to get So** to church, but he couldn't get work off. We'd also been trying to get Shi** on date, but he didn't understand why he needed to be baptized again.

Sunday night was Elder Earl's last real proselyting day, and God was blessing us a lot. First we went to teach Shi** and only a couple minutes in he said, "I need to be baptized again?" We told him "yes", he asked "when?"!! So now he is scheduled to be baptized this month!

After that we were feeling pretty stoked and went to So**'s house. As soon as we got there he smiled and told us that his friend is taking 4 hours of his Sunday shift so that he can come to church. We were so excited! After the lesson, So**'s family fed us an amazing meal to celebrate Elder Earl finishing strong. I know that meal was really expensive for them to make, and they put a lot of work into it. It seems like it is always those who have the least who give the most.

I don't have a ton to say about Kuala Lumpur, but I really enjoy taking the train instead of biking in the heat! haha! I love the food (as always) and Elder Li is great. I am glad that I can actually contribute in lessons now :)

This week we were boarding the LRT and I noticed that there was a man sitting down reading the Bible. That never happens, so we made sure that we talked to him. His name is Mic**, and he is here visiting from Sarawak while he attends a Bible College. We gave him our card and he realized we were Mormons. He was excited and started asking us questions about which Bible we use and what we believe. He graciously accepted an English Book of Mormon and he gave us his number so that we can give him a Malay Book of Mormon. It was awesome!

No pictures because I left my phone at the apartment. Sorry! Tell Abigail that the hotels and apartments here don't have 4th floors. They have floor 3, 3a, and then 5. The word for 4 in Chinese is si with a fourth tone, and death is si with a third tone, so 4 is bad luck. Funny huh? Love ya'll, bye!

Elder Josh Avery

Email Problems (June 1, 2015)

A Unicorn on the Train  (June 15, 2015)