Monday, June 15, 2015

Doubt Not, Fear Not - Sister Maren Madsen

Written by Sister Maren Madsen, serving in the Arkansas Little Rock Mission of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, speaking Spanish.  

Sabrina is going to be a CNA? Wow!! That is a huge change of plans! She will be great at it. She has always been really good at helping people. Yeah.. Mexico was.. interesting. I haven't eaten too many strange things, just some fish tacos (which were surprisingly really good, but probably because it was deep fried) and I did have cow intestine.. I think it would have been better if I didn't know it was cow intestine, but I just drenched it in homemade guacamole and pico de gallo so it was good:)

It's funny because we have 4 sets of missionaries in our branch (which is Spanish) and they have a meal calendar for each set. So they pass all four calendars around Relief Society for people to sign up to feed the missionaries... needless to say I think people prefer elders over sisters. Besides that, our area only has a few active members, so our less active friend Ma** feeds us every week and then Hermana Tu** (she is amazing) feeds us twice. But sometimes they cancel, so we end up eating at the apartment. But last week one of the English members fed us (he is so kind). I never realized how much missionaries really need help from the members.

I feel like my Spanish is improving slowly... ever so slowly...but it is getting better. I can't really complain because I have only been at it for two months.

Well, here in the South we definitely run into "antis," like every other day. It really affects my companion sometimes, but I take it as a learning moment. I figure if they aren't willing to accept what I have the say, then they aren't ripe and ready to made into the perfect guacamole. I also take the time to ponder about my testimony.

Just last night we were talking to a hardcore "born again Christian," and she was telling us that she knows that ONLY the Bible is the word of God, and that the Book of Mormon is just a really good story. I remember praying that I will be given a sign or something so that I can speak and testify with power. But the more I thought about it, the more I was able to think about my purpose as a missionary and think about how many countless times in my life I have been given spiritual confirmation that the Book of Mormon is the word of God and that I am called to share what I know, not to have my testimony stroked. I know these things are true! Why should the Holy Ghost have to slap me in the face with a spiritual experience every time someone questions my beliefs?! "Doubt Not, Fear Not." Then I could feel my blood pressure rise, (not sure if it was because I was nervous or because I was feeling the Spirit) and I was able to testify and explain to her that we are not trying to take away her beliefs, and that we are only there to share what we know to be true. I think that the Lord was blessing me with an experience of confirmation. I know these things, and I need to recognize when Satan is tempting me.... I hate that guy...

But just for every bad there is a better. Our investigator Sa** (Ma**'s daughter) and her mom came to church yesterday, and she even had us give her a Book of Mormon to send to her dad. It's crazy, she hasn't been this excited about the gospel since I have known her. She reminds me so much of Sa**. One thing she told us this week is that sometimes when we teach, she can see that we have a glow, or a white light around us... I have never had any experience like that, so that was very cool. Then we talked about how it was likely some of her family members or our family members cheering her on as we teach her gospel truths. She then set a date for baptism on July 11. We are going to work hard to get her ready for that day!

I love the mission. There is so much we learn on a daily basis and so many people we meet. I love the trust that the Lord has in us and the hand he has in this saving work.

Thanks for everything and I love you so much!!

Hermana Madsen
P.S. It has gotten up to 100 degrees every day this week...go humidity!

Exchanges, Bashers, iPads, Bikes, and that's just TWO MONTHS! (June 8, 2015)

Elect of the Lord  (June 22, 2015)