Monday, January 12, 2015

The REAL Banana Leaf - Elder Joshua Avery

Written by Elder Joshua Avery, serving in the Singapore Mission of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, speaking Mandarin Chinese.

My grandma took me to eat at a restaurant called
The Banana Leaf before I left for my mission. This
week I got to eat at the REAL Banana Leaf, haha!
Hey everyone!

This week was good. K** got baptized on Saturday. That was so awesome. Seeing the change that has happened in her life is just so amazing. I wish that her son would follow her example, but he is not in that place right now.
So, this week a lot of appointments fell through, but somehow we still managed to reach a lot of our goals. It is so amazing what God can do! One of the English elders' investigators brought some of their friend's kids to meet with us. We taught them about the Restoration and they were so receptive. One of them even asked to be baptized. It was so awesome. Sadly, they texted us Saturday and they said that their dad doesn't want them to meet with us anymore. It seems like kids are dependent on their parents here until they are 25 years old! For cooking, housing, pretty much their entire livelihood. So that was too bad.
I don't have anymore big news. I know you're worried, but I'm doing good. I wish I could type better. You were right about that! I should have taken a few days to get that down better before I left. I go through hard times, but nothing like I did in the MTC (Missionary Training Center). Learning the language is the main source of my stress. Every missionary in Ipoh gains weight because the members here are so generous and feed us so well....but not me. I have gone down 2 belt notches. If I lose any more weight, I will have to poke more holes in my belt. I'm sure it's just the stress of learning the language. 

The highlight of our week! K**'s baptism!
I know that faith in Jesus Christ is the most powerful kind of faith. It's better than faith in ourselves, better than faith that time will give me more exposure so I can learn, and better than faith that my efforts to study and practice will one day help me speak Mandarin. I have unwavering faith in Christ!! I also know that I will only reap what I sow. This will pay off in the end!
Love You!
Elder Josh Avery

Happy New Year  (January 5, 2015)

Miracles  (January 19, 2015)





My jungle adventure: