Monday, May 19, 2014

I Love Mexico - Elder Brian Burgess

Written by Elder Brian Burgess, serving in the Mexico Puebla North Mission of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, speaking Spanish.

Hey Everyone!
I love Mexico! This culture has really made my life fun! I used to hate hearing bikes roll up and down the streets with annoying music, and voices coming from a broken speaker telling me to buy bread, or tamales, or tacos. Or a truck with tanks of gas, blaring their annoying music, selling gas for the water boilers and stoves. Also the sirens or dogs barking or party music all day, evening, and night....But now it is apart of me. I love being here in Mexico. I love opening my mouth to answer all the questions I hear, whether the question is, "What do you teach about?" "Did the government send you?," "What school are you from?," "Where are you from?," or one of the funniest to answer, "Do you speak Spanish?," to which I normally respond, "Sí" (Yes).
In my short time in Mexico, I have noticed that 100% of the drunk guys on the street want to talk to me. Whether it be Spanish, trying not to fall over, or whether it be a choppy sentence in English: "I speak the English. I is Americano. I in America 5 years. I know you. Want a beer?" To which I normally pull out a nice southern accent, or English accent, and have some fun with them. There is a drunk guy who is always outside of our apartment complex, who thinks I am from France. I just decided to go with the "flow," haha. I love everyday, being entertained by the things I see or hear.
I have had the amazing opportunity to meet many people who the Lord is preparing to receive our message, and I have seen many miracles and changes in the lives of people in Mexico. It humbles me to know I had a part in their conversion, or at least, I did my part inviting them.
This last week I spent a lot of my time in the morning during breakfast, or at night while preparing for bed, studying Spanish. There are still many things I want to learn and am learning.
So guess what? I am sick again. I have honestly lost track of how many days or times or weeks I have been sick here in Mexico. My mission president´s wife has me constantly on the "Sick Elder List" and I have become great friends with the mission doctor, haha! I called her the other day, and she just recognized my voice. "Oh hey, Elder Burgess, are you sick again?" haha. I love the food, but it doesn't love me.
I testify that this church is true. When we humble ourselves, and open our hearts to a message about the gospel of Jesus Christ, our lives change for the better! I see it everyday! I am a witness of the power of the priesthood. I have seen it bless many lives and many people. I testify that the same priesthood power and keys that Christ himself established and used in His church on this earth, has once again been restored on the face of the earth. And that today, there is a prophet of God that guides this church.
I love you all, and hope you have an amazing week.
LOVE,
ELDER BURGESS
Breaking In (May 12, 2014)

Elder Hamburger (May 26, 2014)